Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Playing from the Blinds

Ok guys I've been running horrible as of late. Well it started with me having cold cards then a cold deck followed by horrible tilt now it's just me playing awful mixed in with some dumb tilting obviously.

Anyways I just want to check out some basics, so let's start with blind play (I play 6 max 5 10 btw)

Obviously I know it's good to mix it up and what not, but I'm just looking to see what you're standard plays are.

1: How often do you reraise from the blinds and with what kind of hands. Are you reraising stuff like JJ QQ?

2: How about something like 2 limpers to you in the SB you have AJ or AQ.

3: What kind of hands do you defend your blinds with? Do you try to avoid calling raises with like A 10 vs say 10-15% pfr?

Anyways I don’t know if these questions make sense at all but if they don’t please refrain from the witty comments vs the post and give your general thoughts about blind play (you don’t have to follow the points)

Thanks for the help

-Pick
Old 01-10-2006, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Playing from the Blinds

1. I always raise 10 10 or better out of the blinds
2. AJ Aq 99 ak I usually raise if the players are loose and I think I can take it down right there. If they are tight then soetimes yes and no...a lot of these sits are player and feel dependant
3. A10 no way unless it's sooted and I generally wouldn't feel comfy playing a big pot if i hit a pair.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:35 PM

1. JJ sometimes. QQ almost always just depends how many callers (the more callers the more i'm willing to rr, if only the raiser in then I'll either rr or just call to trap).

2. AJ and AQ almost always.

3. A10 is death. My pt stats confirm this. I'm at the point with that hand where I'm almost dumping it UTG. I shouldn't be defending it in the blinds as much as I do. If it is suited I will certainly defend though as long as I'm willing to not go too far with one pair.

The thing about defending your blinds (and yeah this is simple stuff but whatever) is you have to take a few things in account and weigh them all out to make the correct play:

1. You will be out of position on the flop...I put this first for the obvious reason that being OOP simply blows.
2. Is your hand strong enough to warrant being out of position on the flop?
3. What opponent is raising (15% pfr or 5% pfr? Do you call w/AJ or KQ against a 5% pfr?..no you don't) and what position are they raising from...button steal or UTG? That should also change your defending standards since a 15pfr is likely to have a solid hand from utg than when folded to him on the button.
4. How good is your flop play?

Take all these things into account and you should be able to come up with a good decision. Obviously it gets much more tricky when the games get shorter like 3handed but at 6max I wouldn't overdefend. There's nothing wrong with folding too much even to habitual blind stealers (who you can play back at preflop or c/r flop, stop n go, and other stuff to shut em the eff up).

my 2c.

-HEK
Old 01-10-2006, 06:17 PM

vs a 15% pfr and presumably high %steal overbet reraise ATo. i t works for me!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
vs a 15% pfr and presumably high %steal overbet reraise Axo . i t works for me!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 01-10-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
vs a 15% pfr and presumably high %steal overbet reraise Axo . i t works for me!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I dont do it w/ any ace, but it probably would work. Maybe I should? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2006, 06:40 PM

I think a good player with a 15% pfr is going to make you hate this move fairly soon.

-Mike
Old 01-10-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I dont do it w/ any ace, but it probably would work. Maybe I should? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I used to do but it seems everytime I do it I run in to something these days. That or they stupid min raise me wich drives me nuts and I proceed to go broke

Thanks for the post Hek
Old 01-10-2006, 07:00 PM

How about calling with suited connectors from the blinds?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:09 PM

Blind defense isn't the sort of thing you can learn overnight--not without a copy of my new "Defensive Drills" video. As if winning back to back to back AAU National titles in the late eighties isn't sufficient qualification, my video is also endorsed by major league superstar Fred McGriff. Go ahead and ask Fred, he'll tell you: This is the instructional video that gets results.

-Available online for the low price of $29.95