Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Help! 3bet preflop and now lost on the flop

Have only been 3betting preflop with AA, KK. So I am trying to make a real effort to widen my range up but keep getting lost postflop. Since my range has been so tight I do not have a lot of experience here and it feels like I keep stepping into bad spots.

For instance here http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...12#Post11889563

FWIW, I called on that one and he had AA.

Anyway on to another example

No reads, the guy has been here only about one orbit or so, so no meaningful reads. 50/30 over 10 hands

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($5.25)
Button ($25.35)
SB ($23.70)
Hero ($23.45)
UTG ($16.40)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, UTG calls $1.75.

Flop: ($6.35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???

My preflop raise looks too small. I think maybe $4 would have been better. The flop I was lost. Should I bet here or check? If I check what is my plan?

My thought process was ... An A hit I am not happy about that. But since I 3bet preflop he could be scared of the ace as well, I will bet here and try to take it down and be happy to take the money already in the pot (don't need a bigger pot to be happy). If he calls or raises I am done because he at least has pair of aces. I feel that I am safe in throwing it away, but maybe my flop bet would be spew.

If I check and he bets, I feel worse because I am not positive he has an ace, he could just be making a play at it. I don't see getting to showdown cheaply at all. It seems that it would cost me way more to get there then it would to lead the flop for $4 and give up if he stuck around.

Maybe c/f is my best move? Just feels so weak to not try to take one stab at the pot.

Is my thought process flawed? What is my best move here?
Old 09-01-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Help! 3bet preflop and now lost on the flop

bet/fold
Old 09-01-2007, 02:51 PM

i would make your 3bet larger pf. people will make unprofitable calls against you all day with pp.

i think betting out and then giving up is the best plan. you're not going to be able to c/c and show your hand down, and your bet probably gets enough folds to be profitable.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:57 AM

PF, raise bigger (3.5-4x his bet). As played, bet/fold around $4. If he doesn't have an ace, he may be willing to call the flop bet and check it down. Check/fold is never an option here.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:01 AM

when you 3-bet try a pot sized bet, i don't know if pokerstars has the pot button.
flop: bet/fold
Old 09-04-2007, 02:01 AM

yeah raise more PF.
The best approach, definetely is betting the flop, make a standard 2/3- 3/4 continuation bet on that flop if raised, you can throw ur hand away.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:12 AM

Pre-flop 3bet has to be larger.

On flop I like bet/fold from OOP.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:34 AM

I would make it roughly 3.75 preflop, then bet a little over 1/2 pot on the flop and fold to a raise. Continuation bets don't need to be as large as normal in 3-bet pots. Perhaps someone else can elaborate on this, but I believe it's because people generally don't have drawing hands, so most situations are WA/WB (or something like that).
Old 09-04-2007, 02:49 AM

PSR pf; bet/fold the flop. I'd lead about 2/3rd pot; maybe a little bit more. If called, I'd check/fold the turn.

Your line of thinking postflop was good IMO.