Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Why I can\'t love The Matrix

First off, I'd like to say that I loved the special effects (just awsome for the time) and the concept of people being plugged into an imaginary world. Great action scenes too.

However, what I take issue with it the underlying premise of the movie (Morpheus explains the history of human/robot relations to Neo):

Robots and humans had a war (ok with this).

Robots were "dependent on solar power and it was believed that they would be unable to survive without an energy source as abundant as the sun. Humans used nuclear weapons to block out the sun, their primary power source at the time" (ok with this).

But then the robots use humans as an energy source because humans "generate more bio-electricity than 120-volt battery and over 25,000 BTVs of body heat. Combined with a form of fusion, the machines have found all the energy they would ever need. There are fields... endless fields, were human beings are no longer born. [Humans] are grown." (wtf???)

Why would robots use humans like this? Humans have got to be the most inefficient form of energy production known to exist. Ok, so maybe the robots are not that artificially 'intelligent', but there is a much bigger error here. If the sun is blocked out by the use of nuclear weapons, how do they make food for people. Simply "liquef[ing] the dead, so they could be fed intravenously to the living" won't work because you can never have perfect energy transfer. Humans 'waste' energy they consume by generating heat, crapping, pissing, shedding skin, etc. This ties into the basic biology concept of energy loss as your move up trophic levels. trophic

Since all food has its origins in energy from the sun, how can you make enough food for humanity if the sun if blotted out??!?!?!?! The entire premise of the movie makes no sense.

Here is the Matrix script
Matrix script

Thoughts? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Why I can\'t love The Matrix

UHH You do realize this is a movie don't you. It's not real. That's why it's called FICTION.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:21 AM

That's the logical problem you have with the Matrix? Do you really believe that is air you are breathing?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UHH You do realize this is a movie don't you. It's not real. That's why it's called FICTION.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't mean it can't have premise that makes sense.

So you would be ok if a giant 30ft penguin started shooting everyone at the end of the Matrix just because it is fiction?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:25 AM

I don't like the Matrix either, but because it's kinda cheesy and the acting sucks. Not liking it for this reason seems really nitty.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the Matrix either, but because it's kinda cheesy and the acting sucks. Not liking it for this reason seems really nitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess a lot of people feel this way, but I can't like a move unless the underlying premise is conceivable based in reality. I felt that the writers got reallllly lazy here.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's the logical problem you have with the Matrix? Do you really believe that is air you are breathing?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the underlying premise of the entire movie. It is like building a really shoddy base to a beautiful pyramid.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't like a move unless the underlying premise is conceivable based in reality.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're gonna not like a whole lot of badass movies then.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't mean it can't have premise that makes sense.

So you would be ok if a giant 30ft penguin started shooting everyone at the end of the Matrix just because it is fiction?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was organic, no. If it was a giant machine Penguin than that woulda been hella sweet!
Old 04-28-2007, 12:32 AM

I know what you mean. Toy Story [censored] sucks. SO FAKE.