Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 04:34 PM

Default 10NL: small pocket pairs preflop after a raise/reraise

Just moved up to .05/.10 and have only played around 1k hands.
Seems like I have been getting into a lot of situations with little pocket pairs, and just wanted some feedback on how some of you play them preflop and post flop.

I usually always open raise PP except sometimes with the real low ones utg or in mp(22-55), which I sometimes limp. If someone minraises I will always call, but when they raise a standard amount, I don't know if I should be calling or folding. If you call what is your plan post flop?

Two scenarios:

1) Don't have hand history for this one
I have 80BB, villain has me covered
I had 66 and open raised from mp to .40 (my standard open), villain 3bets to $1.40, everyone else has folded so it will be heads up after the flop.

Is it standard to call this and then fold if I don't hit my set? Or do I fold? What about if 3bet was closer to $2? I am out of position and I feel like I am almost throwing $1 away by calling the raise and then have to c/f flop.

2)
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($9.30)
CO ($14.20)
Button ($10.30)
SB ($5.40)
BB ($10)
UTG ($9.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.4</font>, Hero ???

Do I call and just hope to flop a set or just let it go preflop?

I find I want to call with all my pocket pairs hoping to flop a set and stack villain, but so much of the time I end up throwing them away after villain bets flop that it is starting to feel -ev.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: 10NL: small pocket pairs preflop after a raise/reraise

1. Too marginal of a sitation w/ 66, you are calling for set value and with only 80bb you arnt deep enough OOP IMO. You gotta consider that you might not even get paid if you hit your set.

2. Smooth call. IMO, you need 10 to 1 implied odds for set value. If you know your opponent well though, and think that he wont pay you off on a set, then it wouldnt be a profitable call. On the other hand, if you can put your opponent on a range of hands, and you feel the flop doesnt hit him, you can take a stab on the flop to take it down since you are in position.

Set value is tricky, it all comes down to whether you have position, and whether you think your opponent will give u 10 to 1 implied odds on your initial preflop call to pay u off when u do hit your set.

You should consider your opponents range though and see if you can stab at the pot even OOP if you feel the flop didnt hit his hand.