Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 07:30 AM

Default Re: wtf did I get myself into

Picky,

I think James is right about his analysis and the rightness of folding and saving the rest of your money against *most* players. But the key to this situation is whether a $100 flop bet could have netted you a small pot and saved your stack. You were the preflop raiser and had position. This means players aren't as likely to call with bottom pair and an overcard and backdoor flush draw as they would be in position. So I think it was a definite mistake not to c-bet that flop in position especially when if a card came to make you a pair after you checked behind, it could also bring a straight and just get you into trouble possibly.

In fact I would be more likely to call his river raise if I had c-bet that flop and bet the turn and he made that backdoor bigger flush. Once you have a checked flop, a lot more hands are possible and have to be given credit for hero being able to have when they then c/c the turn.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I think it was a definite mistake not to c-bet that flop in position especially when if a card came to make you a pair after you checked behind, it could also bring a straight and just get you into trouble possibly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that its easier to play usually when you C-bet, but I don't think that means that checking here is necessarilly a mistake. Its probably better to C-bet on this type of flop most of the time, but its not like its the best flop in the world to C-bet. I'd certainly check behind at least some % of the time here.

Also, one thing about not c-betting, as we see here, is that you need to be more willing to either keep the pot small, or lay down very good hands when its pretty clear you're beat. And even still this is the worst case, and very unlikely... the fact that he has the Ahigh, AND it goes runner runner. Of course I mean in terms of looking at that flop, not knowing what will come, when you decide to check, getting beat by a backdoor Ahigh flush should not be much of a factor making you want to bet the flop more. Obviously things change a ton after your turn bet gets called, and you get bet into on the river when the spade hits. The raise is still good, but once he 3 bets, after all those things happened then its V, V unlikely that he doesn't have Ahigh.

I don't see how you could get in too much trouble if you hit a pair. Sure it might give him a straight, or 2pair, but its not like you're going to be playing a huge pot with just 1 pair after checking behind.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:10 PM

I think most of the thoughts are correct. I think the river play screams A high.

Would not some donks make the same play with QsTs?

I would be interested to see how the reactions were if he didn't post results. I think they are a little results oriented.

Do you really want a call there on that river when you made the second nuts? Or a fold when he pushes? Cause I'm getting the sense that it's the latter.