Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 10:25 PM

Default How to handle people who want to chop and constantly nag live event?

This was absurd I decided to play at The Tropicana tourn last night buy in was 80 + $20 only 100 entrants top ten get paid. When there was 27 left my whole table wanted to chop prize pool right there and was nagging everyone to chop. They were relentless I objected as well as 2 other total players. How can they seriously want to chop at that point? 24 left they ask again. I was getting sick of the constant asking and mocking of players who didn't want to.
Am I just being stubborn or do most of you agree I won't even talk chop at an event like this unless we are AT LEAST at final table.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: How to handle people who want to chop and constantly nag live even

I would graciously make it perfectly clear that you won't chop, so they better stop asking. Maybe even ask the TD if he could announce that you wont be interested in chopping until the FT at the very least.

Mostly, don't let them make you feel bad, but also there's no need to be a jerk or berate them yourself.

From a strategic POV, there's a couple of obv consequences, know how your image might change after this and how some people might start gunning for you, also keep in mind the players who are fighting hardest for the chop because they'll be tightest around the bubble.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:41 PM

A common chop is to make it so an extra 5-10 people get their buyin back, def don't agree to it unless you are insanely short though since you can basically open any 2 and ship the money
Old 08-14-2007, 10:58 PM

I tried to let the other players who were against the chop kind of speak up, so as to make them feel I was with them (the choppers). They did ask everyone to chip in ten bucks when 11 left so whoever busts gets his buyin. I had no problem with that.
I just couldn't see playing 5 hours and 1/4 the field gets there money. Even with only a stack of say 15X BB felt I was in real no danger of being knocked out until near the final table not at 27.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 PM

I had a vaguely similar situation last month at a home game. Six players, $20 buy-in, second game of the night. It got to three players, none of whom had cashed the first game. It was later than we wanted to play, but I had something like 60% of the chips. This Big Balla to whom $20 meant nothing kept pestering for an even chop so we all broke even for the night, then a chop where he gave something up, yadda yadda, and I said I wasn't interested in chopping with half the field left. I got short-stacked and figured my "greed" would get the better of me, then he was getting pissed no one would chop and donked his chips to me. He groused, "Don't chop it before I get out of the driveway." Three hands later I pick up AA and win.
Don't let it bother you, just play your game.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a vaguely similar situation last month at a home game. Six players, $20 buy-in, second game of the night. It got to three players, none of whom had cashed the first game. It was later than we wanted to play, but I had something like 60% of the chips. This Big Balla to whom $20 meant nothing kept pestering for an even chop so we all broke even for the night, then a chop where he gave something up, yadda yadda, and I said I wasn't interested in chopping with half the field left. I got short-stacked and figured my "greed" would get the better of me, then he was getting pissed no one would chop and donked his chips to me. He groused, "Don't chop it before I get out of the driveway." Three hands later I pick up AA and win.
Don't let it bother you, just play your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lot of things can be done with a home game.

A 2+2 cash player (Epdaws) and I used to play in the same home game ( Tourny ). We would play two tourny's a night, chopping pretty standard in the first one so less people were standing around. However if It got heads up between the two of us (as it often did, this game was awsome)we would write our chip counts down then finish after the second tourny.

Ken
Old 08-15-2007, 02:55 AM

I chopped 32 ways once!
Old 08-15-2007, 03:20 AM

lol
Old 08-15-2007, 03:53 AM

I'm a perfectly nice guy on the table. I'd politely decline the chop repeatedly.

However, once people started nagging/hassling me i'd inform them "I came to gamble and you can chop this [censored] thing when you bust me, so for now don't waste your breath and play your cards."
Old 08-15-2007, 04:09 AM

Just speak up politely and don't feel bad.

This happened to me at the FT of a 100 + 1 addon at the Borgata. As soon as the FT bubble busted (paid top 9), about 7 of the people started pleading for a chop. At first, I didn't say anything. After it went on for a few minutes and I realized that they didn't stop the tourney clock, I just butted in with, "Sorry guys, but I don't really care to chop." The dealer instantly started dealing the next hand.

When people ask you why you don't want to chop (which they will), just say that you don't make FTs like this very often, and you want to play it out for the fun and experience. They can't argue with that (although they will).