Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Some comments about the WCOOP structures

I don't buy the argument that a 2 day event is more likely to have people selling/swaping/etc more than a 20/22 hour single day event. If I was super tired and knew a player I trusted(skill wise) I would be more likely to swap out and sleep than if it was a two day event where I could rest for the next day. Most players with the skill to reach a deep tourny final hours will want to play themselves. Even if they know better players and swapping would be +ev...players want to play.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't buy the argument that a 2 day event is more likely to have people selling/swaping/etc more than a 20/22 hour single day event. If I was super tired and knew a player I trusted(skill wise) I would be more likely to swap out and sleep than if it was a two day event where I could rest for the next day. Most players with the skill to reach a deep tourny final hours will want to play themselves. Even if they know better players and swapping would be +ev...players want to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

The nail just got squarely hit on the head.

Regards,
Richard
Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 PM

do NOT make the levels shorter 30 mins is great for an online tournament where the dealing etc is obviously much faster than it would be in a live scenario.

the talk should not be about players who have commitments the next day. this is their fault. they surely know it could go on for 15 hours+ and should plan accordingly depending on their progress.

if i have to go to work or dinner in an hour..... but want to play a bit of poker i do not register for an MTT. i'll play a turbo sng or a bit of cash game poker.

my idea is post the time at which the tournament will end on day 1.

e.g starts at 8pm GMT and will run for 12 hours. it will stop at 8am GMT and resume at 8pm GMT. 12 hours for everyone involved to sleep etc.

if people can't commit then they do not register. simple.

i must also say that you should be proud that this is even an issue. on most of the smaller european sites i play on the MTTs have about 300 players and last up to 6 hours. it is a great achievement that you manage to get 6000 players in the same tournament. obv the greater the number of players will lengthen the total time needed to complete it and the schedule should reflect this.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Whoever came up with these structures as one day events should be shot...

[/ QUOTE ]

Today's ignorant hyberbolic post has been brought to you by Jackal69

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous; how on earth is what he said ignorant?

[/ QUOTE ]

He suggested that somebody doing their job should die for it. That's pretty darned ignorant in my book.

Fell
Old 09-17-2007, 01:53 PM

also

we should be discussing the 5% PRIZEPOOL chop bullshiit
Old 09-17-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Whoever came up with these structures as one day events should be shot...

[/ QUOTE ]

Today's ignorant hyberbolic post has been brought to you by Jackal69

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous; how on earth is what he said ignorant?

[/ QUOTE ]

He suggested that somebody doing their job should die for it. That's pretty darned ignorant in my book.

Fell

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, i forgot stars had relocated from costa rica to the isle of man... perhaps the offender could just be banished to the mainland instead?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:59 PM

Thoughts -

Personally I love the structures and don't mind the possibility of a 20 hour session, but I play full time and can basically bracket off these two weeks.

Two-day events would be better overall and I don't think they were increase the amount of account-selling.

I think the vast majority of jobs give the kind of leeway that is needed here; i.e. as long as you don't do it too often, you can call in sick here and there, and most people use a few of those up on hobbies, a long weekend fishing or whatever. The only people *really* affected are the people who go deep enough to make significant $ (or at least what is significant $ to the average Joe Moneymaker), and most people won't mind using up a sick day for a bunch of money and a good water cooler story/once in a lifetime type experience. So I don't see missing work, or being tired for work, as a huge deal for most people.

The real issue, imo, is lack of sleep/stamina while playing. Similar to the 50k horse last year, people's ability to stay awake shouldn't be a part of the skill to win the event.

The Euros are pretty [censored], especially those with jobs.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't buy the argument that a 2 day event is more likely to have people selling/swaping/etc more than a 20/22 hour single day event.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you swap in the middle of the tourney, this will likely be detected and you will be disqualified. Thus you won't do it. On the other hand if the same account is played from a different IP on day 2, how Stars is going to know whether you went to your parents house to play or sold your seat to another player?
Old 09-17-2007, 02:04 PM

Bryan, your reply is welcomed, but I hardly think it's a valid point. The fact that none of the big winners complained, as mentioned above, is a pretty bad logical reason to continue the 1 day event.

It seems really stubborn of pokerstars to stick with this policy, when there's ZERO downside to switching into 2 day events, if you're keeping the current structure.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also

we should be discussing the 5% PRIZEPOOL chop bullshiit

[/ QUOTE ]

Its 5% of the remaining prizepool at the time of the chop not of the total prize pool, this makes it much more reasonable.