Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Why can no one write a truly advanced poker book ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
take commitment = willing to get all in. how many players actually ask, on every street, "Am I committed?" or better "Under what conditions will I commit here?" there is no more important question, but how many people ACTUALLY think about that at the start of every betting round? if you want to be a strong MSNL player you should hardwire that question into your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Angel Largay writes about a similar way of thinking. It's not as fleshed out as yours is in terms of analysis, but he says for every hand you're in, you should be asking who's more likely to go broke with this hand - me or my opponent? That question can guide you to play the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never really got that. Say you get dealt QQ and the pot is raised before and your reraise and get one caller. The flop comes Js8d2d. You get 3/4 of the pot (not a small bet since it's a raised pot. He calls. Do you bet the turn? How does "who's going broke" help me here? How do I know who's going broke? He could be calling with AJ, he might be calling a draw? He might have made a set? I don't get how that questions helps.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was looking at Largay's book and the reviews on it were excellent. What do real poker players think about it? I don't even buy books anymore due to the fact that every book just rehashes the same idea. My game has plateau'd, so I think I need to start doing something differently. Is this a good book to start back with since I am playing $1/2NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

For live cash games, yes. Read reviews of it on the ITH forum.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Angel Largay writes about a similar way of thinking. It's not as fleshed out as yours is in terms of analysis, but he says for every hand you're in, you should be asking who's more likely to go broke with this hand - me or my opponent? That question can guide you to play the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never really got that. Say you get dealt QQ and the pot is raised before and your reraise and get one caller. The flop comes Js8d2d. You get 3/4 of the pot (not a small bet since it's a raised pot. He calls. Do you bet the turn? How does "who's going broke" help me here? How do I know who's going broke? He could be calling with AJ, he might be calling a draw? He might have made a set? I don't get how that questions helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, he doesn't flesh out an answer like Flynn/Mehta seem to be doing. The question is useful in the same way that NLHTAP is useful - it tells you some of the right questions to be asking. But there are more examples Largay uses to help you figure it out.

In your example above, part is knowing your players. For example, if you raised with AJ, would you call a reraise? Most solid players would not, if the reraiser were also solid and this were not a blind steal situation. In your example, I'd say you are more likely to go broke than your opponent is if you persist. If he is on a flush draw, is he going to go broke? No. So it's highly unlikely he'll go broke. However, you might if you're not careful. That helps you decide how to play the hand. You don't want to be all in on that hand. You haven't mentioned stack sizes so, usual disclaimers apply - I'm assuming big stacks. If the SPR is right, you very well might get all in on the flop or turn, that's what Matt is talking about.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I did my job, my book will be approachable for a moderately-experienced poker player but will also teach high-limit veterans some truly outstanding things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really looking forward to it Dave. Bring back the 'fro for your author pic!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:54 AM

I think its because not many people know anything about that game.
Many great highstakes players learnt by experience how to beat others and they dont even understand why they are beating them (some of them dont even get basic math like how to calculate needed folding equity which doesnt stop them to beat 50/100 NL).
Probably some of the best out there have some more real understanding of the game but so far we didnt see them writing a book (but maybe with recent Matt Flynn book and people like J.A. Sucker and the like coming to the market maybe its about to change).
Old 07-14-2007, 05:41 PM

Even getting through the mid-limits needs a lot that cannot be written. "Why'd you call me down you donk?"

"Uh, because I thought you were bluffing."

How did I know this? I don't know, and I challenge anyone to write it exactly.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:33 PM

Reading Mathematics of Poker now. Definitely a truly advanced book. It's not logic behind and derivation of factoids. It's applications of math (most notably game-theory) to aid in playing with more optimal strategy and tactics, including the metagame (game selection, bankroll, etc.)