Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 07:50 PM

Default transition from Limit to NL easier?

Iv been playing no limit hold em for about 3 or 4 years now, but i have a major problem with discipline and becoming bored at the table, so end up playing more hands and losing chips like an idiot.

I was thinking, would i have this problem if i hadve learnt limit hold em first, then moved onto NL?

i have played a few limit games, mostly mixed games online, and really found it difficult because not only am i totally new to razz, but i got bored with the games being limit. i am interested in becoming a better player though and i know this will mean improving on all games, not just NL hold em.

so my question was, is it easier to go from limit to NL, or NL to limit?
Old 07-03-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: transition from Limit to NL easier?

Going from limit to NL is way easier on the soul. Going to limit from NL might be a frustrating journey but I believe that learning limit first is the best method of becoming a very good NL player. Although the game is the same (Holdem) the financial aspect of the game makes it totally different.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Iv been playing no limit hold em for about 3 or 4 years now, but i have a major problem with discipline and becoming bored at the table, so end up playing more hands and losing chips like an idiot.

I was thinking, would i have this problem if i hadve learnt limit hold em first, then moved onto NL?

i have played a few limit games, mostly mixed games online, and really found it difficult because not only am i totally new to razz, but i got bored with the games being limit. i am interested in becoming a better player though and i know this will mean improving on all games, not just NL hold em.

so my question was, is it easier to go from limit to NL, or NL to limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I went from limit to big bet, and found it a fairly easy transition, although I still have more bad days than good days at PLO. Almost everyone I've seen go the other direction wasn't good at limit OR no limit. That may be an artifact of the poker boom, though.

I do find it odd that so many people view NL as an action game and limit as drudgery. I find the opposite is often true, since NL requires a stronger edge to risk you chips. You can make thin but profitable value bets in limit you would never think of trying in NL.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:29 AM

Who'd want to go from no-limit to limit? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think if you'd started on limit, your problem might be worse. In limit your mistakes are less expensive, so leaks caused by a lack of patience would be less easy to detect and put right early. IMO, nothing teaches patience better than losing your entire stack in a couple of hands.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who wants action, potentially.

Try playing 6-max NL for an hour, and the 6-max limit, and keep track of the number of meaningful decisions you make. It'll be more in limit most likely.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who wants action, potentially.

Try playing 6-max NL for an hour, and the 6-max limit, and keep track of the number of meaningful decisions you make. It'll be more in limit most likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. I play both, but primarily limit, because I can't stand the [censored] nits on the internet in NL. Multi-table at Stars or Full Tilt during a weekday day and take a look at the stats. No-limit is often nut peddling online, except at fairly meaningless limits.

Try a 10/20 or 15/30 limit shorthand game. Its not unusual to see a table of 43/18 aggro monkeys even now. Try to 12 table that.

Now live, NL is the game...
Old 07-05-2007, 08:37 AM

The two games are fundamentally different, so there's really no "easier" transition.

NL players moving to limit tend to lose money because they call too liberally preflop and fold too much on the river.

Limit players moving to no limit tend to lose a lot of money with top pair hands and by not controlling pot size or factoring in stack size.

In other words, in NL, your leaks hit you in the face with one big loss. In limit your leaks literally drip your chips away.