Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 05:32 PM

Default what is the better gamble for pro players?

is the better gamble limit hold'em or no-limit hold'em for pro players? each has risks but it seems that no-limit actually has greater risks then limit. ie: a bad run at limit you can step down and still be in action. a bad run at no-limit and you can be broke. i know that no-limit allows you to win more per hour but the risk could be greater or is it? im mainly talking about brick and mortar not the internet.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: what is the better gamble for pro players?

Limit HE is very swingy for me, although my WR is almost the same as my NLHE game. Variance in LHE is no joke when it turns on you, it's pretty deceptive. In both games you need to be appropriately bankrolled, and I wouldn't call one easier than another.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 PM

The ratio of profit:variance is much better in NLHE than LHE, so your unlikely to go on as long/many downswings in NLHE
Old 08-27-2007, 11:17 PM

eppp your kinda off about most everything...

the only thing I ll say is with proper BR management your chance of going broke should be the same in either game. Ideally you should set your BR requirements based on an underestimated empirical guess at your winrate and std deviation and your preferential risk of ruin calcs based on your preferred confidence interval).

if you prefer more generic BR management if your a winner at NL or limit as long as you follow 20-30 BIs or 300-500 BBs for limit, your not more likely to bust in NL or vice versa, and either one you can and should step down after a bad run or significant hit to your roll.

that gophers sick btw gonso
Old 08-28-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The ratio of profit:variance is much better in NLHE than LHE, so your unlikely to go on as long/many downswings in NLHE

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience this is generally true. I think the main reason for it is because you have less control over your money in limit. When you have an edge you are only able to bet according to the structure of the game.

In no limit its possible to get more money in the pot when you have an edge which serves as increased value as well as protection for your hand.

-Jerry