Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Things it took me a while to learn part 7, Metagame and Concentrat

When your book comes out, PM me for cover design [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks for another great one (and fast, too!)

-ZEN
Old 11-07-2007, 12:26 PM

The only thing that I take notes on that wasn't mentioned is the guy who limps from early position and folds or calls a shove late in a tourney. This note has been valuable to me if I'm running a short stack late.

Oh yeah it goes without saying that these threads are awesome!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:31 PM

You mention PA HUD -- can you describe your setup?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:38 PM

I've taken all 7 of bond's strategy posts and copied them to wordpad. Great stuff. Absolutely invaluable. I haven't taken many notes because I almost never run into the same players again in mtts. I think this is something I should try.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if its part of this one or perhaps another part in this series, but I'd really like to know what, if anything, you look for in pokertracker/PA HUD when you don't otherwise have notes on a player, or if you see a player join your table and you have a few hundred hands on him already. The VP$P and PFR are the obvious ones, but i wonder if you look heavily into any of the other stats that are available when making decisions, or if there are common things that you notice in HUD that impact your decision making.

Thanks, this is some really valuable information.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no pro but the other numbers I watch are:

Post flop aggression: lower the number the bigger the hand the villian has when he bets, easy to read and avoid.

Win when sees flop % (vs or combined with) Win Showdown %: Litmus test on success of his aggression and his decision making. Not seeing a lot of showdowns tells me the villian has a good read on the table when combined with a high WWSF%, winning most of the showdowns he sees indicates the same thing, just on the river. Both of these as high numbers indicates to me that I need to be aggressive with this person earlier rather than later, low WSD% tells me he can be trapped or pays off a lot of marginal stuff, low WWSF% would tell me that he'll give up a lot of hands between there and the river and can be pushed around.

# of hands: obviously the more you have the better reliability you can expect out of the rest of the numbers.

I watch all this with PAHud on a 2 minute hand refresh cycle so I can keep as up to date as possible. I don't have time to dig thru PT with the limited time available to act. Just check my notes and look at the stats. I know I don't look at my notes enough.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't have the work ethic to do this.. i want to do it and i usually type in a few notes but i'm eventually i stop caring and the thought that "its all gonna come down to a coinflip neway" creeps into my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. these notes pay off in the future.... you may have to alter them, but think of it this way....
if you go out and start chopping a big pile of firewood, yet fail to finish... you'll be that far ahead tomorrow when you go back out ... and you won't freeze tonight
Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 PM

Every day I learn something new on this site that improves my game. With this post, I learned like 5 new things.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You mention PA HUD -- can you describe your setup?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also like to hear aout you setup. Looking forward to part 8.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:15 AM

My set up is two 19 inch monitors, though i'm thinking of getting a third. I normally play about 8, though it goes from 6-12ish. I try not to go to many these days cause i want to concentrate some.

I use VPIP, PFR, flop aggression, and over how many hands. I remember quite a few players and take a fair few notes, but when you play that quantity of tables you just can't keep track of anywhere near enough.

I think PFR is the most important since it lets you know who can steal/resteal and who you can fold to when stealing.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:27 AM

Amazing that you can play so well using only those stats. Another great contribution to the forum. Thx bond.