Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 AM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not all conservatives are hillbilly morons, just as all liberals aren't (<insert random stereotype here&gt

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they are. Some just don't know it.

Being pro-gigantic unnecessary military is internally inconsistent with a belief in small government.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty funny. You would also be one of those folks that say conservative are intolerant judgement machines, which is exactly what you are doing.

There is a different between a "gigantic unnecessary military" and a military that is capable of protecting the interests of its citizens. I'm sure we would disagree on the definition of what that is. We've all seen in the past how good Europe is at protecting itself. While we spend a lot of money on the military making sure we have the best of the best, our actual military size in personnel is not that large for the size of our country.

Also maybe "small" government isn't the right term. It's not about size but about level of involvement. I want government to protect my interests in terms of foreign policy, provide a fair infrastructure and means for me to make my own way in life and protect my rights to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

I do not want a government overly involved in social programs or many other things that I consider the responsibility of the citizens. There is a balance in many cases, and I would choose to be on the right (political right) side of that balance.

Do I think the government can and should create some regulations to protect the environment. Absolutely! Do I think they should require everyone to drive hybrid cars in 5 years? Absolutely not!

And I do know a few hillbilly morons but would not be considered by anyone that knows me to be one myself, except for those that consider anyone who voted for Bush to be a hillbilly moron (and there are plenty of you out there I'm sure)
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I grew up in military family, am pro-life, believe in smaller government, morally conservative, from the South. married to a rancher's daughter. How can I not be a Republican

[/ QUOTE ]

What astonishes me is that people like yourself were duped into voting for Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was better than the alternative. Im not saying that Bush is a conservative, because obv, he is not, but at least he is more of one than the people he ran against.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I grew up in military family, am pro-life, believe in smaller government, morally conservative, from the South. married to a rancher's daughter. How can I not be a Republican

[/ QUOTE ]

What astonishes me is that people like yourself were duped into voting for Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many people don't understand that people vote for different reasons. Some people vote based on projected foreign policy actions/involvement. Some people vote on domestic political issues (social security, national health care). And some people, including many conservatives, vote on values (abortion, judge appointments, tolerance of religious freedom, gay marriage issues, etc).

It is the right of every single person to vote based on what is important to them.

While I might not agree with all of Bush's decisions in regards to foreign policy, I am definately a Republican in regards to domestic policy and social policy. Those are my beliefs. Why would I vote for a democrat who is going to advance many things I disagree with?

I don't think Bush might have been the best Republican choice just as many right now might not think Clinton or Obama are the best Democratic choices. But ultimately you vote for the candidate that will advance the issues that are most important to you personally. That's democracy.

You can disagree that moral/social issues are as important as foreign policy, but you can't really disagree with my right to vote based on the issues that are most important to me.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not all conservatives are hillbilly morons, just as all liberals aren't (<insert random stereotype here&gt

[/ QUOTE ]

Being pro-gigantic unnecessary military is internally inconsistent with a belief in small government.

[/ QUOTE ]

So wait a second, your post about you liking hockey and driving a german car, was that supposed to be ironic? or was that a serious post? Im confused now.

If that was a serious post, you are a huge loser btw.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can disagree that moral/social issues are as important as foreign policy, but you can't really disagree with my right to vote based on the issues that are most important to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is part of the reason why proportional representation was invented, which I think is a more precise form of democracy than what is used in the US. Perhaps a lot of people are confused because they live in PR democracies instead of two party democracies (where the two parties are pretty similiar). Anyway, this is all going a bit off track...
Old 10-23-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's pretty funny. You would also be one of those folks that say conservative are intolerant judgement machines, which is exactly what you are doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, I'm judgmental. Of course, given what has happened over the past 7 years I'm shocked that you and all the other enablers aren't begging for forgiveness. I'm not sure whether I'm more shocked at your amazing shamelessness or the insane weakness of the logical class for allowing you to feel that you don't have to apologize.

If you people had the capacity to look around and say "yeah, I made a mistake. I'm sorry," I would be much, much less judgmental. Even if you were capable of that, though, it's not like you would learn from it.

[ QUOTE ]
I want government to protect my interests in terms of foreign policy, provide a fair infrastructure and means for me to make my own way in life and protect my rights to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're truly voting on "issues", then this is completely inconsistent with being a Republican. Unless one of your big issues is imperialism. Or you're a plutocrat.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:57 PM

We generally have a very favorable view of Europeans, with the exception being the French, which is very mixed.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So wait a second, your post about you liking hockey and driving a german car, was that supposed to be ironic? or was that a serious post? Im confused now.

If that was a serious post, you are a huge loser btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

My OP was satirical, but probably in different way than you're thinking. I was trying to point out that asking for a general American viewpoint towards Europeans is a silly question to begin with. For two reasons. First, a general orientation doesn't exist. A huge number of Americans to varying degrees have more in common with your average Western European than with other Americans (secular, bi or multilingual, well-traveled, highly educated, self-aware, etc.) And the ones that don't fit that description don't have opinions beyond American Idol or snackfoods about this subject that are worth hearing. So the whole original question is kind of silly.

The second is that Americans who are radically different from Europeans aren't going to be the kind of people capable of explicating a worthwile thought on the matter of cultural differences. They'll just say things like:

"I like my guns."
"I hate taxes."
"They're all gay."
"Chevys rule!"
Old 10-23-2007, 01:07 PM

I think the average euro is about the same as the avg American. No interest in visiting the tourist traps. Normandy/ countryside would be cool though. I don't think were better, I think your elite think were all redman chewing, bible thumping idiots. France might've let us fly over on the way to Libya. Switzerland could've not shot down US bombers.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Please dont compare the brits with europe.

We are much more advanced socially and economically.

I see Europeans as generally stupid especially when they write words like- hey guys u got teh ghey?

If i meet 1 personally of course this changes but my stereotype is ure all happy go lucky fools.