Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: LASIK Vision Correction

I had Lasik done in 2002 and love it.
Went from 20/400 to 20/30.

Have had problem with dry eyes, but that's about it.
(maybe a tad more sensitive to bright lights, but nothing too noticeable)
Old 10-23-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wear monthly disposables, you keep them in constantly for the month so only have to make a change once every thirty days.

[/ QUOTE ]
An eye doctor told me that this massively increases the chances of an infection or other eye problem. He gave me the extended wear lenses, but told me to take them out at night whenever possible.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wear monthly disposables, you keep them in constantly for the month so only have to make a change once every thirty days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your not supposed to sleep with contacts in your eyes. I know a few people who can't wear contacts any more because they did this. Please find a new doctor.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't want to side-track the discussion, but is there any method/exercise that people can use to strengthen their eyes and improve their vision?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

and if someone tells you yes, they are a charlatan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. I've often heard that a lot of reading & computer-use related eye problems is caused by spending too much time focused in the near plane, and even if you can't fix problems you can at least prevent damage by forcing yourself to focus on things that are far away. Some people recommend an exercise where switch between far & near focus several times.

Quackwatch definitely agrees with you :

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery.../eyequack.html

The quacks have tons of scientific papers to back them up but there are lots of sites like this and they definitely have the reek of nonsense :

http://www.vision-therapy.com/vt_research_studies.htm

(BTW several businesses like this one were actually shut down for false medical claims)

Wikipedia says :

A 2005 review of the literature on eye exercises concluded that: "Small controlled trials and a large number of cases support the (use of eye exercises in) treatment of convergence insufficiency. Less robust, but believable, evidence indicates visual training may be useful in developing fine stereoscopic skills and improving visual field remnants after brain damage."[2] However, the report also concluded that "no clear scientific evidence" exists for the efficacy of eye exercises in the treatment of "vergence problems, ocular motility disorders, accommodative dysfunction, amblyopia, learning disabilities, dyslexia, asthenopia, myopia, motion sickness, sports performance, visual acuity, and general well-being." [2]

Though :

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6117

lifestyle definitely causes myopia so presumably you can also prevent it with behavior.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:15 AM

i just went for my preliminary consultation yesterday

i will get a TR up in a cpl days, to a week, depending on how quick i busto wpt canada
Old 10-25-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i will get a TR up in a cpl days, to a week, depending on how many minutes before i busto wpt canada (prob like 10ish)

[/ QUOTE ]
fyp
Old 10-27-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i will get a TR up in a cpl days, to a week, depending on how many minutes before i busto wpt canada (prob like 135ish)

[/ QUOTE ]
fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

fYp
Old 10-27-2007, 01:33 PM

I got it done in April of 2006. No problems whatsoever, other than a mild eye infection, which had nothing to do with the LASIK. My vision is tested for certain at 20/15, and the doctor said that it's likely I am at 20/10.

I had halos around streetlights at night for about a month, but those cleared up by themselves. My night vision is perfectly fine now. The only lingering side effect, if you can call it that, is that my eyes get very heavy if I've been awake for more than fifteen hours. I think they just tired a bit more easily...but hey, I probably need the sleep, anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2007, 06:03 AM

Can anyone recommend any ophthalmologists in LA?

I just moved out here and need to get my eyes lasered, but without a social base out here I dont really have any trusted word of mouth recs~
Old 10-28-2007, 07:23 AM

My mom had it done and has had to go back in three times to get updates/eyes refixed whatever. I drove her there one time and watched the surgery. Viewing the procedure was a combination of gross and interestin. They put a closeup shot of her eye up on some screen in a special viewing room lol.