Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: 25-50 with a straddle

[ QUOTE ]
8800 in pot. bet is 3500. So...if you call, you're risking $3500 to win $4400. Instead, why not raise to like $7500? Then you're risking $7.5k to win $12.3k. Is this guy ever going to call a river raise to chop on that board?

I actually like folding the best but fold > raise > call imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool post.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
8800 in pot. bet is 3500. So...if you call, you're risking $3500 to win $4400. Instead, why not raise to like $7500? Then you're risking $7.5k to win $12.3k. Is this guy ever going to call a river raise to chop on that board?

[/ QUOTE ]

cool post.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sick ass.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:37 PM

I'm kind of surprised that Strassa and others think he can have AK some of the time here.

Don't you think check-calling this flop with AK is pretty bad?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Hand from Villians perspective (dont read if u dont want results)

dont want to kill discussion, but it looks like its come to a halt...so here are my thoughts on the hand...i had KK...

when jason called my raise preflop, i had him on a range of 88-QQ, AK, AQs, and some small probability of a high suited connector...so when i saw the flop, there was a decent chance i was behind...i check called to see how the hand would develop... (not sure about this check call, so would like comments)...i didnt want to be raised off the hand if i CB...from his perspective, i thought he could put me on AA,KK,JJ and some lower probability of KQs,QJs,J10s after the cc...

when the 8 hit the turn, i was folding to a big bet - i figured he had to think that a J was a good portion of my range here...fortunately he checked (he had to be worried about a check raise here)

on the river, the J hits putting the straight on the board...the choices in my head were a smaller bet (3500) or a bet that was bigger (6k-8k)...i decided on the smaller bet for a couple of reasons...i still thought jason had to have a J as a good piece of my range after the check call on the flop (meaning i was going for a failed check raise on turn)..so i thought a smaller bet may well induce a bluff raise from him (if i had a j type hand, i couldnt have k type hand)...on top of having a j in my range, i also thought there could possibly have been a little frustration from flopping a big hand - which might lead him to get frisky...Ak was definitely in his range (although not a big part since i had kk), and i was prepared to deliver my stack to him given the initial range i had him on (i guess thats what hedge fund guys do and "poker pros" dont)...

anyways, i'd like to hear alternate ways to play my hand...particularly the flop...also, the hand ranges that i had him on and hands that i thought he could put me on seem pretty tight reading this post, but the way the hand played out, seemed really true at the time...

fwiw, for those saying fold preflop to jason, i disagree...jason knew that i knew internet pros opening range was pretty wide preflop...i thought his call was fine, and definitely liked reraise over fold preflop for his hand...
Old 10-21-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Coach me plzzzz.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

at the risk of sounding like an idiot and alienating really good posters, i'm going to say that i really really dislike this. i can't imagine him ever folding a king to a 4k raise, i know i would never fold a king to a 4k raise from a thinking player, i dont' think anyone should ever fold a king to a 4k raise, ev en if it is just calling to chop.

if you're going to raise, i think it should be a man raise to try and rep AK (given it's a little hard, it would still be hard for him to call 10 or 15k more with just a king) given he's rarely got AK himself.

i'm not thinking about the math here but intuitively it feels pretty bad to raise small here, better to raise big if we have to raise, but i still like folding better than that, and perhaps even calling better than putting in any raise at all.

i'll be honest, i'm kidn of shocked so many people think it's good to raise small here, i guess maybe i'm out of my mind or something.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

at the risk of sounding like an idiot and alienating really good posters, i'm going to say that i really really dislike this. i can't imagine him ever folding a king to a 4k raise, i know i would never fold a king to a 4k raise from a thinking player, i dont' think anyone should ever fold a king to a 4k raise, ev en if it is just calling to chop.

if you're going to raise, i think it should be a man raise to try and rep AK (given it's a little hard, it would still be hard for him to call 10 or 15k more with just a king) given he's rarely got AK himself.

i'm not thinking about the math here but intuitively it feels pretty bad to raise small here, better to raise big if we have to raise, but i still like folding better than that, and perhaps even calling better than putting in any raise at all.

i'll be honest, i'm kidn of shocked so many people think it's good to raise small here, i guess maybe i'm out of my mind or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not really that a small raise is better than a fold but more the reasoning behind the idea that a small raise is better than a call that i thought made his post interesting.

in fact he did advocate folding.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:49 AM

o ok main idea of my post was to try and say that i hate it, i'm pretty sure most think a fold is best here anyways, looking at other options and small raise just struck me as ridic
Old 10-22-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wasn't this predicated on folding a board chop, not a K chop?