Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:57 AM

Default PLO8 MTT small stakes - interesting hand?

So I find myself playing PLO8 in a Crypto $5 MTT and we're on the money (3 pay) with 5 left. Most of my opponents haven't appeared to even understand the rules but I've just lost my chiplead to a massive suckout.

Apart from me, no one raises pf ever unless they have a starting hand outlined in Play Poker Like the Pros.

Three limps and I have K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Kx4x4x in BB and see a flop of K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Pot is 1600 and this is PLO8.

Everyone at the table is 5k-6k deep and the BB is 400.

What's the play/line?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: PLO8 MTT small stakes - interesting hand?

Checkraise all in LDO. Unless opponents are insanely passive in which case I guess you have to bet it yourself.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:46 AM

Yep, Check the flop and hope to get in an all-in CR. If the flop gets checked around, there's no possible scare card - you gotta pot the turn and hope somebody caught a little something.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:53 AM

pot into people. It seems that by what you are saying about the table that they are too passive to bet the flop. I mean what are people going to be betting with here? FD or WSD? I mean you have all of the Ks and all of the 4s so there is pretty much nothing else. LP might just check behind with weak FDs. Bet at it. If you have ~5-6k, increasing your stack by 1600 is ~20% increase of your stack so you should be fine with taking this down on the flop. The problem is that if it gets checked around on the flop there are a lot of turn cards that bring problems.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checkraise all in LDO . Unless opponents are insanely passive in which case I guess you have to bet it yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, all of this. So I bet the pot and UTG called. Turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Pot is 4800 and my stack is a little less than PSB.

What's the play?

If we check, do we call any bet? If not, how big a bet can we call?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:35 PM

Check. Fold to PSB. Determining exactly what the threshold is for folding is trickier than it would be in a cash game (you would need to know the payoff structure and use ICM I guess). Rough guess, you could call a bet of half the size of the pot, but no more. If more than one villain remains in the hand, then you could call a larger bet, but then you might not be closing the action...
Old 09-11-2007, 02:08 PM

I know we've moved past the flop at this point, but I'd be more inclined the bet the flop since a) you have flopped sets with both your pocket pairs and b) there is a flush and straight draw out (flush obv much more likely). That means that there are many cards to come that could beat the hand you currently hold, and you have less outs to redraw since you are holding two of the outs in the 4s. Because of this, I'd bet aggressively on the flop regardless.

Checking is probably best (what are the blinds again? I could figure it out using math but I'm lazy). You basically have to decide if you are willing to commit with this hand, because even if you call a half pot bet on the turn, you are probably going to have to commit the rest of it on the river, since the pot will contain something like 4 times your stack if you call a half PSB on the turn. So I think any reasonable bet you call on the turn commits you, but I'm not very experienced and PLO8 so I could be wrong
Old 09-11-2007, 03:11 PM

c/c ai because non-flushes may shove anyways and if you shove the only things are calling are FD and mebbe overpair + LD
Old 09-11-2007, 05:02 PM

registrar - Bear in mind that I don't play pot limit much.

But I'd 3/4 pot this (bet 1200). I wouldn't take the chance on one of those three limpers getting a free card to draw out on me.

Bear in mind that you have two of your own outs, thus substantially reducing the value of your flopped top set, in case anyone makes a straight on the turn.

Buzz