Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 10:01 AM

Default PLO8 question from MTT retardfest anyone?

I've x-posted this FWIW.

So I find myself playing PLO8 in a Crypto $5 MTT and we're on the money (3 pay) with 5 left. Most of my opponents haven't appeared to even understand the rules but I've just lost my chiplead to a massive suckout.

Apart from me, no one raises pf ever unless they have a starting hand outlined in Play Poker Like the Pros.

Three limps and I have K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Kx4x4x in BB and see a flop of K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Pot is 1600 and this is PLO8.

Everyone at the table is 5k-6k deep and the BB is 400.

What's the play/line?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Re: PLO8 question from MTT retardfest anyone?

lol, you were playing a PLO MTT.

I won't be an ass - bet ~1400. Two diamonds on the board plus all those limps, so you will get action from straight draws, diamond draws, etc. If you are raised, you get it all-in. I think this is fairly standard, though I suck at Omaha.

Barry
Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 AM

Sounds like nobody's folding a flush draw if you pot it and you hand is a lot more likely to get worse than get better. How deep are you? I hate to say it, but the best line here might be to check it and hope for a free turn or be willing to call a pot sized bet. if you pot it now and get re-potted, you are pretty committed and have 2 streets to dodge any diamond; 9,10,Q straight possibilities or runner runner lows to chop. I'm no PLO8 math wizz, but as good as your hand looks right now, it really looks like a win a little or lose your stack kinda hand.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:25 PM

Yeah, so I cross posted and:

[ QUOTE ]
Checkraise all in LDO . Unless opponents are insanely passive in which case I guess you have to bet it yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, all of this. So I bet the pot and UTG called. Turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Pot is 4800 and my stack is a little less than a PSB.

What's the play?

If we check, do we call any bet? If not, how big a bet can we call?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:34 PM

Assume he has the flush and you need to fill up, you have 7 outs. You probably shouldn't call more than 1500 imo. Especially if you're the best player at the table.
Edit: don't check the flop to passive players, you just got unlucky if they hit the turn.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 PM

I pot the flop and commit. On the diamond turn, I hate it, but I'm all in and praying to pair the board.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pot the flop and commit. On the diamond turn, I hate it, but I'm all in and praying to pair the board.

[/ QUOTE ]With the passive preflop game they're playing, 12 BBs leaves you a decent amount of play to try to see cheap flops and outplay the donks. I don't think you need to risk it here, I'd say donk has flush at least 75% of the time and you're what 14% to draw out?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the passive preflop game they're playing, 12 BBs leaves you a decent amount of play to try to see cheap flops and outplay the donks. I don't think you need to risk it here, I'd say donk has flush at least 75% of the time and you're what 14% to draw out?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point, I was thinking he was shorter and basically pot committed. With 9-12BB left you can get away from it I think.
God I hate Omaha....couldn't we just play the Kings AND one of the fours? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2007, 02:25 PM

Checkraise pot on the flop is probably better. Why lead out from the blinds? If it gets checked around and you don't like the turn, you can fold.

As played, this is a bad turn card, but I would push anyway. Villain may not like the turn either and fold. If not, atleast you have 10 outs for high.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:44 PM

A weak player limping utg and calling a pot sized bet is almost always going to have a flush draw and not going to fold when it hits. Since you have 2 sets it makes 2 pair a very unlikely calling hand for villian. 1 4 +1 k +3 Js + 3 6s=8 outs not 10.