Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: How do trades happen?

Either the GM makes it known that a team is shopping a certain player, or a GM that wants (or need to move from their own team) a certain player gets in touch with the other team(s) GM. They talk just like and two business owners would talk about trading assets.
Then they, with their staff, work out the monitary details (harest in the NFL, easiest in MLB) and lastly the trade papers are submitted to the League office where the commish has to approve the deal. It's true that the Commish can kabosh any deal he wants, though for obvious reasons, they aren't in the business of doing that.

Cody
Old 05-15-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that both teams would fax in their deal to MLB offices and if both of the deals matchup then the trade is processed.

Or does that make too much sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that does make sense. That must be how it happens.

If that's the case though, I'd love to hear stories of cases where one team sends in a fax and the other never does. Like if the Yanks ever had a deal in place for A-rod but it fell through, etc.

I also like the idea that there's a web site out there where GM's log in and chat about trades, and everyone always has flashing envelope PM's from Billy Beane who spams everyone with trade offers.

Also, some people need to reread the OP before posting, obviously I understand how trades are negotiated. What makes them official is what I was wondering.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that both teams would fax in their deal to MLB offices and if both of the deals matchup then the trade is processed.

Or does that make too much sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that does make sense. That must be how it happens.

If that's the case though, I'd love to hear stories of cases where one team sends in a fax and the other never does. Like if the Yanks ever had a deal in place for A-rod but it fell through, etc.

I also like the idea that there's a web site out there where GM's log in and chat about trades, and everyone always has flashing envelope PM's from Billy Beane who spams everyone with trade offers.

Also, some people need to reread the OP before posting, obviously I understand how trades are negotiated. What makes them official is what I was wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

If what you want is the moment that the players, picks, etc. officially change hands, then it's the moment when the Commish (or assistant in the case of draft day things) puts his "OK" stamp on it and files it at the league office.

Cody
Old 05-16-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, at a high level, I understand how they get done, two GM's talk, blah blah.

I was thinking over the weekend that I don't really know much about the technical logistics of how it "happens" to make it official per se. I mean, does one team write up a formal proposal that has to be signed, or what? Is there some online tool for leagues, like in Yahoo leagues, where you can just select players and offer trades? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It doesn't seem like you hear many stories about guys going back on trades, or backing out after a verbal acceptance, etc. I also think it would be sort of cool memorabilia if there exists things like a fax from one team showing an offer they made to trade a superstar, etc.

So kind of a random question, anyone know?

[/ QUOTE ]

notarized aol instant messenger chat printouts
Old 05-16-2007, 02:04 PM

When I become GM of the DRays I'm sure I will definitely do a bunch of trades over chat on the internet.