Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Persia protests \"300\"

Iranian official lashes out at Hollywood movie "300" for insulting Persian civilization
Old 03-14-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: The 700

I thought this was the best movie I've seen in a while. Not because of plot, dialogue, or anything else, but because it delivered EXACTLY what I went into it for. Action.

I thought the slo-mo was excessive but well done. When compared to anything that Michael Bay has done, this barely used slow motion. What I really enjoyed about the battle scenes though was that they didn't show the battle as a whole. They picked one Spartan and followed him as he ripped through hordes of baddies. I thought that was a great move.

On the narration side, I feel there were times where it didn't quite fit, and other times where it was freaking awesome (the helmet being stifling, the sheild throwing off balance, etc. was particularly awesome).

Not quite sure I understand the people saying they felt the dialogue was cheesy, though. Most of what Leonidas and friends said was documented in stories of the event long before this movie. In fact, to my understanding some of the battle cries are still used in the Greek army to this day.

This pumps me up for God of War II so much it's ridiculous but that's another post altogether.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Comics

[ QUOTE ]
I saw The 300 yesterday. Trying to comment w/o spoilers, but I thought it was pretty terrible. Very silly costumes. The special effects were very good.

[/ QUOTE ]300 is not a historical film, in the line of Henry V, say.

It is a tranfer of a comic series onto the movie screen, first and foremost. One cannot take in Sin City or Dick Tracy simply as a police thrillers.

In comics, and in transfers of comics onto the screen, style is paramount.

I thought Dick Tracy, Sin City, and 300 were excellent, very entertaining and sylish movies in their own right, and, having the respective comics as their basis, makes them even better.

Mickey Brausch
Old 03-22-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Comics

I got back from this an hour or two ago.

I loved it, it was fantastic. Yah, sometimes too much slo-mo (some of those fight-sequences in real time would have only lasted 15 seconds, but they would have been fantastic), and some of the stuff was just silly (Xerxes being about 8 feet tall, for example, and the goat-man in his tent), but overall I enjoyed it greatly. Definitely lived up to my quite-high expectations.

But then I love the comic strip of it, and think it's my favourite work of art that's new to me for this decade so far.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Comics

to those who enjoyed 300 (the movie and comic), you should check out 'gates of fire' by steven pressfield. excellent book, accounts spartan culture/thermopylae.