Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Re: The 300 Spartans

I agree with this review.

It was a visual feast, entertaining and well paced. I prefer it to Gladiator and to Alexander by a long shot. Spartans are about blood and guts, not character development.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 PM

I head a good description of it in BBV4Life that made me laugh 'Braveheart on crack'. Lol.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I head a good description of it in BBV4Life that made me laugh 'Braveheart on crack'. Lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL but it is so true. The disappointing thing for me was the lack of a historical setting. However, I knew that going in but still they could have done a little better, jeez at least try a little.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:10 AM

Default Phalanx

[ QUOTE ]
I thought they made a big deal about phalanx fighting, and maybe they didn't show it as much but they provided the impression that the phalanx was the only way they would hold the pass.

[/ QUOTE ]I haven't seen the film but plan to. Hope they didn't make a complete mess of fighting in phalanx. Although that formation was useful in open spaces, with formations of soldiers deploying rather widely, it was not much help in narrow passageways such as Thermopylae.

Phalanx: The Battle of Leuctra
Old 03-10-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Phalanx

I saw The 300 yesterday. Trying to comment w/o spoilers, but I thought it was pretty terrible. Very silly costumes. The special effects were very good. Cool battle scenes with great effects. But the writing was bad and left too much undeveloped. There were parts that I felt like should have been emotional or inspirational that just fell flat.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:29 PM

as one reviewer put it:

You don't go to Hooters for the chicken wings - no matter what you might tell your wife - and you're not going to 300 for the plot nuances.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as one reviewer put it:

You don't go to Hooters for the chicken wings - no matter what you might tell your wife - and you're not going to 300 for the plot nuances.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reviewer sounds like a moron. Maybe he should try reading some Greek history/mythology. And yeah, just because something is an "action movie" doesn't mean it has to be poorly written and directed.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as one reviewer put it:

[/ QUOTE ]

This reviewer sounds like a moron. Maybe he should try reading some Greek history/mythology. And yeah, just because something is an "action movie" doesn't mean it has to be poorly written and directed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie is considerably better if you forget that it was 'based' on a historical event. However, it did have mostly bad lines and the all slow-mo all the time style was cliched after about 10 seconds.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The movie is considerably better if you forget that it was 'based' on a historical event. However, it did have mostly bad lines and the all slow-mo all the time style was cliched after about 10 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that really makes it any better. Who was the black guy with Theron when they were making the deal with the Ephor? I mean he was obviously some minion of Xerxes, but the way they showed him it was like he should have some larger specific part that got left on the cutting room floor.

The whole thing with Theron was poorly done too. I mean, why even bother including all that in the movie if it's just going to be poorly done.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that really makes it any better. Who was the black guy with Theron when they were making the deal with the Ephor? I mean he was obviously some minion of Xerxes, but the way they showed him it was like he should have some larger specific part that got left on the cutting room floor.

The whole thing with Theron was poorly done too. I mean, why even bother including all that in the movie if it's just going to be poorly done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking of ripping the DVD when it comes out (yes, i'll buy it probably) and cutting it down to the battles. I was patiently waiting for the first 1/3 of the movie to get over with and then patiently waiting to exit the theater during the last 1/4.