Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Re: The 300 Spartans

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i dunno. f the critics, i'll be a 300 fanboy for life.

i'll just think of when the critics hated apocalypto and i really enjoyed that movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye. Critics are not to be trusted unless they have a long history with you and you find them in tune with you.

This is a highly stylised movie, so yer standard popcorn munching critic is no guide.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 AM

Default Go, Stranger

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any experts on classical history around?

[/ QUOTE ]Whaddya want ?

They long time gone. Quit disturbing their peace.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 AM

Default The 700

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the presence of others in any way diminshes what Leonidas and his hoplites chose to do, but it would be nice hear some props for the Thespians, too.

[/ QUOTE ]Some remember.

The sign would read

"To The Memory Of The Seven Hundred Thespians"
Old 03-09-2007, 04:27 AM

Default Re: The 700

I saw this tonight.

Was a good movie. I enjoyed it alot. There were a few things I didn't like. For the most part, the spartans fought in a non phalanx formation, more just individual battles. IIRC, the spartans worked as a group, a unit, and I was disappointed to see a lack of that.

I also didn't really like the lack of greek allies. I know that it is based off miller's work (a great comic btw), but I would have liked to see some of the thespians or something.

a good move. I enjoyed it alot. recommended.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:47 AM

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/289178,WKP-News-hundred09.article

"Q. What do you get when you cross these two movies and add better special effects and a lot more blood? A. 300."

I really liked the movie and the only critics in which i trust are the Chicago sun times critics. It got 4 stars.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:47 AM

awww, that's a big disappointment that they didn't use hoplite fighting, because that's the only way such a small group could hold this pass against so many.

Ever since I've seen a documentary called 'The Spartans' here: http://www.amazon.com/Spartans-Bettany-H...9623&sr=8-2

I've wanted to see hoplite battle recreated. The irst hour of this doc. is dedicated to describing hoplite training and Thermopylae, and is a brilliant watch.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Carter,
there are brief moments of hoplite/phalanx fighting. Its just that alot of it is individual fighting. It still looks very cool, don't get me wrong. But yeah, that was one part of the movie that was disappointing for me.

The immortals look sweet. Xerxes is also like 9 feet tall. I read in an interview the director said "if xerxes was just normal, who cares? but in the eyes of a greek, they are seeing this huge figure in the world." or something along those lines.

Still though, the movie was worth going to. If you enjoyed that spartan documentary, then go see it. Alot of the spartan morals and code was still imbedded into this movie, and I liked it.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:36 PM

I thought they made a big deal about phalanx fighting, and maybe they didn't show it as much but they provided the impression that the phalanx was the only way they would hold the pass.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:38 PM

Don't worry, if I see only one movie this year, this is my pick. The Spartans have interested me forever.

I'll be seeing it at least once during its cinema run.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: The 300 Spartans

I just got back from watching this over lunch. While definitely light in the dialogue and character development areas it more than made up for those short-comings in its visual appeal. The choreography of the fight sequences is pretty awesome and the color schemes used really add to the experience.

The movie definitely could have put a greater emphasis on the hoplite fighting but it was still a visual feast...well worth seeing on a big screen.

Swede