Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Why I Am A Semi-Sociopath

[ QUOTE ]
How about finding the quote where I said or implied this. When you can't find it how about an apology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and you never said David was a sociopath. You actually said he wasn't a sociopath.

I have the understanding of context necessary to identify the general thrust of a coherent post.

Look, we all know you criticized David because he chose a Bangladeshi over an American on the basis of merit. I grant that "always" is strong, I doubt you'd support an American serial killer over a Bangladeshi Nobel laureate, but your point was pretty clear. You suggested that David should have favored the less-deserving American over the more-deserving Bangladeshi because we should "stick together" and the American is one of "his own." Nobody is going to forget that because you troll it up. Just to refresh the memory, your original posts:

[ QUOTE ]
And even in your (silly) case one can argue that helping the American citizen when a misfortune befalls them is far better than helping someone in Bangladesh that you have no connection with, other than both of you being humans. WE are Americans. We accept the American way of life. We stand together. etc, etc, etc, if you would prefer helping foreigners to Americans perhaps you should move to Bangladesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
This is not an arguement on the value of human life. It is an arguement of priorities. It seems that Sklansky prefers helping others rather than his own even when his own are just as needy as others. He has the right to do that. HIS OWN fight to ensure that he has the right. Yet he prefers not to help them. Yeah he isnt a sociopath. Right.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Does anyone think those last two sentences are anything but sarcastic? Anyone? No, put your hand down vintage, anyone else?)
Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 AM

If you call me another name I will not respond to you again, ever. I referring to you use of "troll". If you think I am trolling then please turn me in to the moderator or dont read my posts. Sklansky knows me personally. If he wants me to stop posting all he has to do is ask or have Matt issue a ban.

[ QUOTE ]
Look, we all know you criticized David because he chose a Bangladeshi over an American on the basis of merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely false. You cannot keep things straight now can you. Sklansky used a WWII grand father in his scenario to emphasize his position. He said (paraphrased) that he would not give any weight to helping the lazy bum just because his Grand Father fought in WWII. That is what I took exception with. That is why I said he should consider his own first becasue that Grandfather fought to keep Amecians free. I stand by that.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and you never said David was a sociopath. You actually said he wasn't a sociopath

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I did in a sarcastic way call him a sociopath. I meant it to because he discounted the WWII soldier's role in his scenario. I never said I didn't.

I want an apology because I am accused os saying that I thought he should favor Americans over Bangladehi's regardlees of the reason. I never said nor implied that.

pokervintage
Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you call me another name I will not respond to you again, ever. I referring to you use of "troll". If you think I am trolling then please turn me in to the moderator or dont read my posts. Sklansky knows me personally. If he wants me to stop posting all he has to do is ask or have Matt issue a ban.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said you're "trolling it up." Not that you're a troll, but that you're acting like one. I think you're positioning yourself based on the flow of the thread in order to jazz things up or support your ego, basically. I think your contributions to the forum are interesting and I have no desire to see you banned (nor do I think you're breaking any rules - you're not trolling to that extent).

But this is a good example of why I think you're playing up your responses. Here you act offended at a glancing reference, but when Doug said...

[ QUOTE ]
you are not only a troll, but also a liar

[/ QUOTE ]

...you responded...

[ QUOTE ]
Troll...o.k. But not a liar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is your response to my aggressive tone stronger than your response to his direct accusation?

[ QUOTE ]
I want an apology because I am accused os saying that I thought he should favor Americans over Bangladehi's regardlees of the reason. I never said nor implied that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I apologize, I didn't recognize the importance of the veteran status in the grandfather example. I thought you were referring to a family history in the US, not to fighting in WW2.

In terms of the argument this strikes me as splitting hairs, but the discussion has clearly soured so I think we should "agree to disagree."
Old 11-13-2007, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is your response to my aggressive tone stronger than your response to his direct accusation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like him. Besides what if anything has he contributed to this Forum anywhere? So who cares if he X's me. You on the other hand post, try, and contribute meaningfully and I don't want a pissing contest to start with you. My method was a bit over the top, I admit but that's me.

pokervintage

pokervintage
Old 11-13-2007, 07:19 AM

That's cool. I like feisty debate, so I tend to escalate. I misread your earlier comment as a snide remark, so I was pretty arrogant in my tone. If I'd realized it was a sincere request for an apology I'd have responded differently. I'm sorry to have been unpleasant, I really didn't mean any offense.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are mischaracterizing my position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I understand that.

[ QUOTE ]
My post had nothing to do with soldiers etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not it was your intention, you did use soldiers (WWII) to emphasize your position. A sensitive subject to me especially on Veterans Day.

[ QUOTE ]
My original post was indicating disgust toward people who make little attempt to better themselves but still have a nice life because they live in a rich country. I went on to say that if they got into hot water, I would have less sympathy for them than I would someone from a poor country who was trying a lot harder

[/ QUOTE ]

What you said was and I am paraphrasing, You would help some poor Bangladesh kid who was stuggling rather than some lazy fellow. I assume you mean some lazy fellow countryman. Then you made a comment adding something like that even if his Grand father had served in WWII it would not sway your decision. Now you can weasel your way out of this and say you didn't mean anything by it but you did use a soldier to emphasize your point.

You said his Grand Father being a soldier was irrelevant.

[ QUOTE ]
I could have just as easily used some other silly plea, such as that they cry during sad movies

[/ QUOTE ]

Other silly plea? Well, excuse me but I don't consider ancestoral pride as a silly plea. Certainly not an excuse for laziness but it just may be a reason for a bit of consideration when down and out. That's all I was saying.

Quite frankly the way you explain your position here one has to wonder why you would bring it up. It really makes no sense and is not very important. Had you discussed the merits of Oprah Winfree building a girls school in Africa instead of Chicago we might have had some important points to discuss.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 11-13-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are mischaracterizing my position. My original post was indicating disgust toward people who make little attempt to better themselves but still have a nice life because they live in a rich country. I went on to say that if they got into hot water, I would have less sympathy for them than I would someone from a poor country who was trying a lot harder. Then, merely as an aside, I mentioned that my feelings wouldn't be swayed if they tried to get more sympathy and help by pointing out that their GRAND father fought in World War II. I could have just as easily used some other silly plea, such as that they cry during sad movies. My post had nothing to do with soldiers etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You chose the audience of CNN Headline news as a representative sample of who exactly? They target their programming towards people who are inclined to watch it to begin with, and you are a member of that group.