Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Ultimate Bet Owes Me 20k

I'm very happy for the OP, but this whole incident points out the problem with these online sites and their procedures. If he hadn't been well known and gotten good support on this forum, UB would never have looked at his account again and he would've lost the 20K.

What happened was this: one person in their fraud dept determined that he committed fraud and closed his account. For most people, including Eric, that would have been the end of it. Even when FTPDoug went to bat for Eric, all he did was ask the guy at the Fraud dept what the issue was, and was told one story. There was no independent re-evaluation of the situation. And Eric is [censored] out of luck.

But our hero here has enough clout (and not many players do) to get them to do a true re-evaluation of the facts. And upon re-examination, they found that the first guy was in error, and fixed it.

Now how many guys out there have been the victims of error or an overeager fraud investigator, but didn't have the clout to get their cases looked at again?

These sites need to have a procedure in place for appeals, and to ensure that fund seizures are not decided by only
one person.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:20 PM

Of course you could argue that we knew good2 wouldnt cheat.

EricXYZ is anyone and could have cheated as far as we know.

One got their money back in less than week, seemingly the other will never get their money; perhaps for good reason.

This does bring up serious questions about how flimsy evidence needs to be in order to close an account. Or to 'investigate it further' as they like to claim.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened was this: one person in their fraud dept determined that he committed fraud and closed his account. For most people, including Eric, that would have been the end of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assume Eric is guilty. That makes these two cases different.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:34 PM

It really concerns me that if I end up losing or winning a lot really quickly, especially heads-up, that some doofus at the site who possibly doesn't even really know much poker is going to conclude that I colluded.

Recall the way that Jeff guy (I think it was) talked down to TeddyFBI's Mom in that case on Stars (that thankfully got corrected and hopefully taught Stars a valuable lesson).

I'm sure that Jeff's logic that he actually shared in the e-mail is similar to the logic that the other fraud-detection types have that they are not sharing.

Fraud-detection person has an attitude of, "I've played a lot of poker before and I already know that poker just doesn't work that way" and this is probably how this stuff gets going.

It's an attitude actually not too far removed from all the rigged-conspiracy theorists who say that they've been playing poker for years and years and can tell when the "cards just aren't right" or something like that.

It's just really narrow-minded thinking.
They don't care to even ask the 'suspect' what the hell was going on.
They just see some hands that they think look funny and conclude, "He's cheating. Lets take his money."

really horrible that they seem to go straight from calling it a 'routine check' to 'we're taking all your money' with nothing (including the slightest bit of communication) in-between.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:41 PM

Man, am I glad this all worked out in the end...it was turning my stomach reading through all these posts and seeing NO response from anyone affiliated with UB...it is infuriating that this seems to be standard practice, even though we all know that the sites are paying attention to threads like these.
It is also worrying that your average Joe low-limit guy, without the post count or the clout or the know how regarding how to raise a stink with these people, could run into this same situation without the happy ending.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I probably don't need to worry, though. I only play on Stars now. "

typical, short memory, false sense of security. anyone remember teddyfbi's mom?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone provide a link to that thread? I keep seeing it referenced on here but I must have missed it the first time.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I probably don't need to worry, though. I only play on Stars now. "

typical, short memory, false sense of security. anyone remember teddyfbi's mom?

[/ QUOTE ]

victor - you quick-replied after one of my posts while quoting something that hopey said.

Confused the crap out of me.

I saw the quote that looked like it was mine and was like, "Did I say that? How freaking drunk was I?"
Old 12-06-2006, 12:46 AM

If this was OP's first post I bet its 50/50 on whether he gets his money back.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:42 AM

If I was in Good's position, I wouldn't give them another cent of my business.

If I was UB, I would be sending him a gold chain, or silver-plated poker chips or something.

A phone call and a written apology is not enough.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If this was OP's first post I bet its 50/50 on whether he gets his money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

50% he doesn't, 50% total morons ITT who decide one letter is a freudian slip troll the thread into oblivion