Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 04:12 AM

Default Re: College Football Week 8

Guys, I am drunk and I skimmed this thread post bar fun. but seriously michigan is a bad football team. Don't confuse them with any elite team in the nation or anything like that. The should have lost to the university of illinois tonight. They lucked out and got some easy breaks. Next year they will lose and won't see if coming, which is sad because illinois will have to leave the big ten into the new era of football in the big ten.

I don't care what record they end up with, michigan just is not a good football team period.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:39 AM

Figured I'd give a new Heisman Top 5 here. This is completely my opinion of who deserves it, not who I actually expect is in the Top 5.

1. Tim Tebow, Florida- This guy's been playing amazing thus far. He actually leads the nation in QB rating right now, despite playing some of the toughest defenses in the nation and is also averaging over 80 ypg on the ground. If Florida wins out, I think he has to get the trophy, even as a sophomore.

2. James Lauranaitis, Ohio State- He's the anchor of the OSU defense which is still playing amazing, only giving up 3 points against MSU today. Still though, he's got to either up hist tackle stats a little or make some more big plays off turnovers to really stand out as a defensive player.

3. Dennis Dixon, Oregon- Like Tebow, a QB that can burn you on the ground and is also Top 5 in QB rating for a contender.

4. Jonathan Stewart, Oregon- The only knock on Stewart was that he couldn't carry a heavy workload, but he shattered that notion, carrying it 32 times for 251 yards against Washington. His 7.2 ypc leads all backs with at least 100 carries on the season.

5. Michael Crabtree, TTU- He's still a statistical monster, but dropping the game-winner against Oklahoma St. and then coming up with his worst performance of the year against Missouri really hurts him. If the Heisman was simply a most outstanding player award, I'd probably have him #2 right now.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hasn't Gameday already been to Happy Valley for the Penn State/Notre Dame game in Week 2 or did I just imagine that? Anyway, Penn State would probably get it if they're eligible as PSU/OSU is a pretty huge game for the national title race. Penn State and Michigan look to be the only teams that have a legitimate shot to knock off Ohio State.

If they can't use either of those, they'd probably have to go to Tempe for the Arizona State/Cal game. That's pretty significant too in that it's ASU's first test against a real opponent and gives the nation the chance to see if they're a legitimate contender.

[/ QUOTE ]
Were they already in Happy Valley? I forgot about that, but you may be right. ASU it is I guess, even though Cal's second loss tarnishes that game somewhat. The only other candidate would have to be Florida @ Georgia, but they've already been there this year too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gameday was in Baton Rouge for week 2, VT at LSU. They haven't been to State College this year.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On a completely different tangent, where does Gameday go next week? USC @ Oregon looks like it's probably the game of the week, but as much as I'd love to see it I know they won't be coming back to Eugene a second time this year so where will they be? Happy Valley to play up the "potential upset of the #1 team" angle?

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy Valley is the best guess. Night game, tons of excitement.

Florida vs. Georgia has a small chance due to being on CBS and Georgia being crap this year.

The other possibility is ASU's first real test against Cal. Cal's loss makes me think this won't happen either, so I'd wager on (un)Happy Valley.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5. Michael Crabtree, TTU- He's still a statistical monster, but dropping the game-winner against Oklahoma St. and then coming up with his worst performance of the year against Missouri really hurts him. If the Heisman was simply a most outstanding player award, I'd probably have him #2 right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh, I wouldn't consider anyone from Texas Tech for anything honestly. At the beginning of the year I thought it might be OK to do so, but they consistently screw up against anyone with a pulse and all the huge stats seem to be a complete product of the system. I know it's been said over and over, but I'm starting to come around to the idea.

[ QUOTE ]

Carr outcoached Zook
Carr used a few offensive formations (one in particular) that I've never seen him use before. He realized throwing was the only way to beat the Illini and had a new shotgun set to do it. Carr also hit that trick play, which was almost perfect. Zook got far too conservative and tightened things up. After burning Michigan deep on the first drive (with a play straight from Oregon), I have no idea why he (or the OC Locksley) didn't call for a few more of those deeper strikes. I understand Illinois doesn't have many real receivers on the roster, but how can a spread team not test the Wolverines through the air much after they've shown themselves to be incompetent over and over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was thinking about all of this right after the game too and it all surprised me. I think having Hart out during this year, of all years, finally made him adjust. I also think Michigan needs to make every attempt possible to get Hart on their coaching staff as soon as whatever NFL career he has is done. With some tutoring from a coach who knows what he is doing the majority of the time (meaning not Carr), he could be a huge asset.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:15 PM

Tempted to agree on Hart. Obviously a lot depends on both his strategic knowledge and ability to teach, but he knows what the hell he is doing, has all the appearance of a great leader (to the extent I can judge this kind of thing), and is very fiery. As far as those first two questions go, he's supposed to be very bright (and hasn't said anything to suggest otherwise), so hopefully that translates into good strategic capability.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, I am drunk and I skimmed this thread post bar fun. but seriously michigan is a bad football team. Don't confuse them with any elite team in the nation or anything like that. The should have lost to the university of illinois tonight. They lucked out and got some easy breaks. Next year they will lose and won't see if coming, which is sad because illinois will have to leave the big ten into the new era of football in the big ten.

I don't care what record they end up with, michigan just is not a good football team period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only drunk, but stupid too. Hopefully you aren't fat or Dean Wormer might have some advice for you...

Also, please be aware that there is room for placement between "elite" and "bad". Michigan falls somewhere into that middle.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Keep in mind that if Michigan wins out they go to the Rose Bowl.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that if Michigan wins out they go to the Rose Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just that, but we can actually lose one of the next 3 and we still control our own destiny. Still not a huge Carr fan and that's a big if, but IF Michigan pulls this off, that's 4 BCS bowls in 5 years.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:37 PM

tough not to go to BCS games when it's all set-up beforehand--the next time Michigan is called for a hold would be the first