Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Future of the MMB forum discussion

[ QUOTE ]
How about full size screenshots of our site with the URL clearly visible?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an idea MEbenhoe and I were just chatting about on AIM. Give us some time to conference with the bosses before we make any final decisions.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:34 AM

majesty, thanks for the support. I appreciate it.

I don't really plan on making this a policed forum. That's exactly why my goal is not just "get rid of links" but rather "change the discussion to a valuable direction that requires fewer links". Like you said, there's definitely a market for other sorts of discussion. There's markets for lots of discussion on the internet and obviously 2+2 is only going to cater to a certain portion of that. And you're exactly right, whining about a rule isn't going to make this place any better.

Again, PM ME IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A POST BUT IT WOULD VIOLATE THIS RULE BECAUSE WE ARE PEOPLE AND PEOPLE ARE FLEXIBLE AND GYMNASTS ARE FLEXIBLE TOO AND THATS HOT BECAUSE THEY ARE PROBABLY BETTER IN BED...wait, what? Yea, you get it.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:09 AM

87% of the guys here are into web-site-revenue-generation via AdSense, etc.

To all of you: learn something about SEO and most of your problems are solved. The remaining guys that are into starting a non-web business are just going to have to get creative in terms of finding and deploying resources.

This is what getting started is all about.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Evan,

I understand your desire to bring discussions to the next level. However, a lot of posters here (like myself), are just stepping into this world. We are not ready for these advanced topics. We need people to show us what we are doing wrong with the basics.

To use another stupid poker analogy, killing the ability to link to sites (IMO) is similar to getting rid of low-stakes NL and requiring those posters to post constructive HSNL posts.

I understand 2p2's advertising policies, but at the same time, it really puts a detriment on this forum.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is happening is the lowest-barrier-to-entry businesses, web sites, have become the enthusiastic focus here.

The energy is there for these topics. Consider spinning off a forum on these topics; there is clear interest. Kill it if it does not get traction.

If it takes, make it plain in the MMB forum or F/MMB stickies that web-site-moneymaking is a distinct forum. See my post in ATF on 'Posting Links in the MMB Forum' for tips on how to manage an anti-spam policy for posted links across all the forums.

See:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]
Mr. Now, that is a totally reasonable post. I can't make any promises about the direction things will go and I'm not the one that would make this kind of decision, but I just want to thank you for doing something other than aimlessly complaining about a rule I didn't make but was asked to enforce. As you can probably tell there's a lot of change going on now and at the moment I'm concerned with a couple things a lot more than creating some sort of link-evaluating algorithm. That may come in time, who knows.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:42 PM

For Christ Sake...
It is an OPEN FORUM.
IF you don't like the topic(s) of conversation, start a topic that you have interest. If it catches on good, but don't come along and act like "OUR" subjects are so below "YOUR" standards. We all can't start at the top like you!
The Billionaire Business Genius Forum is down the hall.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 PM

FWIW I think Evan is the only one making any sense as far as I read into this thread.

I for one was stoked when I first saw the MMB board show up in the list.

I have been extremly disappointed with its direction - turning into 90% adsense/"internet marketing" and a variety of other schemes that have very low ceilings of profitability.

I've also been disappointed by how fast people on this board fall for the exact tactics they are trying to learn. Some posters here have just had a field day getting a lot of others to do anything they want. At times its so absurd I have to assume that they are multiple accounts of the same user.

I do hope that this board sticks around, but for the amount of intelligence hanging around the majority of 2+2 I expect better.

These are obviously generalizations. Some of the threads/posters here have had very genuine, valuable advice. Mr. Now's original thread sticks out in my head but there have been many others.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:30 PM

It is the last post in this thread that is causing problems, so I'm hoping by posting a post after it it will fix it.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:32 PM

SUCCESS!!

Evan and I have talked with Mat about this subject and he has agreed to let us allow/disallow personal links in this forum at our discretion. So what this means, things can basically go back to normal, although we are still going to error on the cautious side when allowing/disallowing links. So if something seems even borderline spam, it will be deleted. Posts that show effort to discuss things about their site along with a link are greatly less likely to get deleted than posts that are basically here's my site look at me.

So thanks to everyone for all the feedback, you will find that we will always try to make happen what the posters want, but sometimes, like in this case, it may take some time to work out, because we also are always going to work within the existing rules of these forums unless we are given permission to deviate from them.

So moving forward, we would both still like to hear any other suggestions for any improvements/changes/ideas you have for this forum. These can be addressed either in this thread or by pm to myself or evan. If you still think we suck as mods, please address those concerns in ATF or by PM to us, and not in this thread going forward.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 04:12 PM

Thank you Jesus!!! Yea it really isn't that hard to see who is posting for help and who is spamming. For an example of spam see any of my posts [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]