Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Butchering 52s

Its a 10/20 Foxwoods Sunday game, full table. Four extremely loose playes only one of which is aggressive but predictably so.

Button is JJ a regular who I have played a number of sessions against, a TAG, solid player, overall winner. He sees me as solid TAG - when I don't play a hand for 20 minutes and then raise UTG he says something like "finally playing a hand?" as he turbo mucks.

BB is Sam, a LAG, overall winner as well. We have played 4 or 5 times together as well. Sam sees me as a LAG or at least a TAG with LAG tendencies. Every time I win a hand with some suited crap like 63 or Q5 he raises his eyebrows a little and laughs.

I call first in, early position with 52s (spades) because I want to play hands against the calling stations. Only one more caller and JJ raises on the button. SB folds. Sam calls in BB, all call.

Flop comes J62 two spades. All check to button who bets. BB raises (Sam has a wide range here. He can have middle pair all the way up to a set). I re-raise because I hate to make my hand too obvious and I think maybe I can shake the other two and get a free card, and if not then its for value. Limper folds. Button calls two (I have seen JJ fold overpairs on more than one occasion to two bets on the flop but I am not sure if he trusts me and/or Sam that much)

Turn is a 5 which does not put a second flush draw out there. BB bets out. Without thinking much, I raise. The little I did think was: I am probably ahead here and if not I've got my flush draw as backup, and if that misses the river is likely to be free, so its the same as calling the turn and river. Also, I want to disuade JJ from staying with his overpair, so he won't draw out on me.

I am interested in comments on any street. Thanks in advance.

Also, does 52s have a name? If not, I nominate "The Big Little Gamble" and "Fools Gold".
Old 08-13-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Butchering 52s

I lolled
Old 08-13-2007, 03:49 PM

"I call first in, early position with 52s (spades) because I want to play hands against the calling stations."

No me entiendo.

Me gusto mucho the rest of the hand though.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Fold preflop. Flop and turn are fine duh.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when I don't play a hand for 20 minutes and then raise UTG he says something like "finally playing a hand?" as he turbo mucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I call first in, early position with 52s (spades)

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like he has a good read of you.

[ QUOTE ]

I am interested in comments on any street. Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold pf, but I like every other street.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, does 52s have a name? If not, I nominate "The Big Little Gamble" and "Fools Gold".

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, at naming hands.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I call first in, early position with 52s (spades) because I want to play hands against the calling stations."

No me entiendo.

Me gusto mucho the rest of the hand though.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were three guys at the table who played 50% of their hands at least. No matter what, they called the flop and turn bets - even with one overcard (edit: for one bet - they were reliable to fold for two unless they had OESD or FD). If they had any part of anything they would call and overcall the river. Plus there was one guy who called over 80% of the time pre-flop (though postflop he could be aggressive). So if I flop two pair or trips or a flush draw it seemed like a good idea to call with this hand in EP because the upside was so high and the hand was so hidden.

Also, for some reason the table was unbelievably passive and most flops went unraised with 5-6 players to the flop on average. This was an extreme aberration for the Foxwoods 10/20 game.

But like I said I am looking for advice on all streets pre-flop included. And from the feedback so far I am getting that perhaps I loosened up too much...
Old 08-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Mr Rick,

TPH's assessment of your play was pretty much summed up as "plays a pretty solid TAG game but has a strange affinity for limping a ton of suited trash preflop."
Old 08-13-2007, 05:34 PM

PF:
It's good to mix up your game (especailly if the Woods 10 is playing passive.. good practice session), but I don't do it with low suited cards... as you probably know I like to raise PF too much to mess with a limp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flop:
I actually like leading this flop given JJ is the preflop raiser and one of the villians in question. JJ doesn't have AJ here becuase he wouldn't raise that PF with 2 limpers. If he has an overpair he'll let us know about it. As played I think he indeed has the overpair, but I think we would have found that out for 2 SB by betting.

Turn is a clear raise. Although if JJ has the overpair we still want him to call our raise...
Old 08-13-2007, 05:56 PM

Nobody can play 5-2s profitably UTG in a limit hold-em game.

Nobody.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:20 PM

You can't play 52s like Big Gamble or Little Gamble.