Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Chances of Death = X, Do You Save a Friend?

Family, friends... 100%. I once told my drunk suicidal friend with a loaded gun (no clip, just one in the chamber) that if he really wanted to kill someone to point the gun at me. I meant it.

Total strangers... If it's a read and react situation, I'm doing what I can. In the apartment complex I used to live in, one of the top floor appts caught fire in the building next to mine. On this floor was an old woman in a wheelchair who couldn't use the stairs. The power was out, so no elevator. My buddy and I ran up without even thinking, kicked the door down to the burning appt, found a few fire extinguishers and put out the fire.

Pets are a tough one... As much as I would try to tell myself it isn't worth risking my life for a dog, I really love the little guy. And I do know a girl who's dog got loose one winter and ran onto a thinly iced over pond. Made it about 15 feet before it fell through. My friend dove into the freezing water and pulled her dog out.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think its very difficult to answer this question without actually being thrust into the situation. of course i would like to think it would be 100% for close family but who knows what i would say if confronted with this situation in reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this to be 100% accurate.

When I was 19, I was renting a house with one of my best friends and my brother. One night I woke up in the middle of the night, and my room was on fire. Flames wall to ceiling, couldn't see, collapsed from the smoke after screaming a few times.

I was on the second floor, my friend and brother were on the first floor. At some point my friend busted through the door into the fire and dragged me out, saving my life. I spent a week in ICU getting the melted skin scraped off my back (one thing I remember is turning my back to the flames) and coughing up soot.

Afterwards, my brother admitted to me that when he came out of his room to my scream and saw the smoke, that he stopped in shock and just froze up. My friend then knocked him out of the way as he went running up the stairs.

I don't think my brother is a 'pussy' by any means, I just think that it was what it was, shock.

So I agree that you'd really have to be put into the situation to know, and then its just some peoples instincts kicking in.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:44 AM

wow, what a story happy. kudos to friend.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:48 AM

The question is... if you die while trying to save him... does he actually get saved?????

Assuming the above
brother = 100%
g/f=20%
close friends = 30%
Old 06-20-2007, 08:07 AM

Interesting thread. I honestly don't know what my percentages are, but somehow I think that everybody that is putting very close loved ones at either <20% or 100% are not thinking this through...
Old 06-20-2007, 08:23 AM

Does the person know you took your life for them if you die? There's no way I could put that weight on someone I wanted to save that badly