Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: *Official* Philadelphia E-A-G-L-E-S Thread (2007-2008)

SMIGLET,

Yes.

The TO drama began during training camp of the 2005 season. At the time, McNabb was an elite quarterback - he was coming off a monster 2004 season. Since then, it's been all downhill, but you have to put yourself in the mindset of an Eagles fan circa 2005. Back then, McNabb was a god.

From the beginning of the 2005 season, for various reasons (some of which may have been legit), TO was being a complete ass. Did McNabb hurt the situation and throw gas on the fire? Yes. But TO was the root of the problem, not McNabb.

Then McNabb and the Eagles came out on fire. After a tough loss in Atlanta, they absolutely demolished San Fran then beat the Raiders without a kicker and then beat Kansas City with a great comeback. McNabb was putting up huge numbers. So, at the time, McNabb was still god.

As the TO drama got worse and worse, I just got fed up with TO. When they finally "Keyshawned" him, I was relieved. Addition by subtraction, you know?

Then McNabb, Westbrook, and half of the offensive line got hurt and the offense fell apart. But you couldn't say "we suck without TO" because everyone else was out as well. The season was lost.

By the time 2006 rolled around, TO was gone and everyone was back on the same page. The team came out pretty hot, and then everything started falling apart again and McNabb got hurt again. Then Jeff Garcia came in and, suddenly, McNabb isn't god anymore.

Now it's 2007, McNabb is struggling and TO is thriving. Which leads to your question, which I think is a fair one.

Looking at it right now, it's easy to say TO>>>>McNabb and the Eagles made a bad decision. But if you think about it from a 2005 perspective, the Eagles made the right choice.

Edited to add: Am I mad now that I'm stuck with McNabb and TO is gone? In a sick sorta way, yeah. I hate TO with a fiery passion, and the thought of him being an Eagle again makes me puke. But, sure, there's some jealousy tied in with that hatred.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 AM

The Eagles cam out hot, and were what, 5-5? McNabb played a very large part in blowing the giants game, and single handedly lost the tampa bay game. Garcia started and was better, because garcia actually is better than McNabb. When Garcia started people finally started to realize that McNabb was not that good.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:38 AM

They were 4-1 through 5 games.

Did McNabb suck in the Tampa game? Yes. Were the Eagles historically unlucky to lose that game? Yes.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
McNabb played a very large part in blowing the giants game

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be kidding me. McNabb had absolutely NOTHING to do with the Eagles losing that game. He had 0 turnovers and threw for 350 yards and 2 touchdowns and took a 17 point lead into the 4th.

A Westbrook fumble, the D's complete collapse, bad playcalling and some very flukey plays (that fumble into the endzone) were the reasons they lost that game.

D
Old 11-20-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Garcia started and was better, because garcia actually is better than McNabb. When Garcia started people finally started to realize that McNabb was not that good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donovan McNabb - 2006
10 GS, 57% completions, 8.4 yards/attempt, 18 TDs, 6 ints, 95.5 passer rating, 212 yards rushing, 6.6 yards/carry, 3 TDs, 3 fumbles, 25.7% DVOA

Jeff Garcia - 2006
8 G, 6 GS, 61.7% completions, 7.0 yards/attempt 10 TDs, 2 ints, 95.8 passer rating, 87 yards rushing, 3.5 yards/carry, 0 TDs, 6 fumbles, 19.7% DVOA

How much better was he?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:30 PM

So I heard that the Eagles are like 22 point underdogs or some such vs. the Patriots this week. Maybe I can root for them to cover the spread. Moral victories ftw.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They were 4-1 through 5 games.

Did McNabb suck in the Tampa game? Yes. Were the Eagles historically unlucky to lose that game? Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasnt being unlucky, it was goddamn McNabb. He doesnt throw into the endzone right before half, he gives the bucs all their points, and in the 2:00 drill, he does what he always does which is suck, and throw to Westbrook everytime and hope he bails them out. And of course after the game says we need to work on this, we need to do this, how about you need to not throw directly to Ronde Barber every pass moron?

In the Giants game McNabb started off well, and in the 2nd half basically took the entire offense off the field as he threw directly into the ground on every 3rd down play. The defense was on the field the whole second half because of McNabb coasting like he always does.

Yes Garcia and McNabb have similar stats, but what they do on 3rd downs, in important situations, and the effect they had on the rest of the team is hugely positive to one side (Garcia) and negative on the other.

Go Jimmy Rollins.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I heard that the Eagles are like 22 point underdogs or some such vs. the Patriots this week. Maybe I can root for them to cover the spread. Moral victories ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]
Historically Reid has been very good at covering the spread. Of course this was mostly back when he took over the Eagles and they were still underdogs every week. Although realistically with JR Reid starting at safety I think we'll be lucky to keep it under 30 points :0(
Old 11-20-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) I really have no idea why you think that McNabb complains about everything that does not go his way - I have never heard him complain until that Black QB thing. Other examples?

[/ QUOTE ]

He complains about something every other week.

[/ QUOTE ]

ex·am·ple [ig-zam-puhl]
–noun

1. an instance serving for illustration; specimen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nov 8. No great QB would ever complain thusly:

"Asked if he feels he takes too much blame when the Eagles struggle, McNabb said: "I do . . . It's easy to blame the quarterback when the team loses, but I'm definitely not the whole reason why we lost these games. Can I help? Yes, I can, but I'm not fully to blame for everything that goes on around here."
Old 11-21-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes Garcia and McNabb have similar stats, but what they do on 3rd downs, in important situations, and the effect they had on the rest of the team is hugely positive to one side (Garcia) and negative on the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you ever use actual evidence to back up your statements?