Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Playing in a new game tonight -- need help!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol 33% of the field gets paid

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... So how should one's strategy change due to that fact?
(and the fact that first place is like $20,000!)

[/ QUOTE ]

thats not possible bro
Old 11-29-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thats not possible bro

[/ QUOTE ]

oops, I was thinking entire prize pool -- but even that's a bit much.... you're right....
First would be something like $7000 then?

Anyway, my question was with regard to strategy.... Thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:25 PM

After everyone arrives ask the director how long the re-buy period lasts. Ask in a loud voice from accross the room so everyone can hear in an attempt to show everyone that you have plenty of money and intend to re-buy if neccessary.

If networking is a consideration, you should play tight and last as long as possible. This will probably give you your best chance to win some money as well.

You should also consider a bad bluff for very few chips early. This will further show that you don't care about the money and maybe convince some that you are a donkey.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2006, 12:35 PM

Thanks, calmjackal...

The 'bad bluff for a few chips early' idea is interesting... Do you think I should be trying to make people think I am a donkey? Or would it be more profitable to project the image of a solid player that is getting a good run of cards? My intuition would say the latter (i.e., it will make it easier to steal blinds & pots when I need to later in the tourney)....
Old 11-29-2006, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 'bad bluff for a few chips early' idea is interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post here combined with the fact that you are not willing to rebuy are two major reasons why you should not be playing in this tournament.

If you care about the money at all (and it sounds like you do) you should NOT be playing in this tournament.

If you see this as a $500 investment in your future because of networking opportunities then maybe this tournament is +lifeEV for you but I think that you seriously overestimate your ability to network at the table or that these opportunities can be had by you in a cheeper arena.

If you can not afford a rebuy the last thing that you want to be doing is making a 'bad bluff' to show that you are a donkey. If you can afford the rebuy you still should not be making 'bad bluffs' make good bluffs, if you want to have a loose image then you should be reraising people light preflop with suited connectors and the like and you should be squeezing a lot but i seriously doubt that your postflop play is strong enough for you to be running these plays.

If you want to network and impress people the last thing that you want them to think of you is that you are a donkey.

If you can not afford a rebuy then you should not be playing in a rebuy tournament. Period.

Best of luck to you,
Steve
Old 11-29-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you care about the money at all (and it sounds like you do) you should NOT be playing in this tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do care... I don't 'piss away' $500 lightly... but I am playing in this thing tonight, so hopefully I can take some of your more constructive advice and turn it into a payday.

[ QUOTE ]

...I think that you seriously overestimate your ability to network at the table or that these opportunities can be had by you in a cheeper arena.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for pointing this out, although I don't know how you can possibly think this based on the facts I've given so far.

[ QUOTE ]
If you can not afford a rebuy the last thing that you want to be doing is making a 'bad bluff' to show that you are a donkey. If you can afford the rebuy you still should not be making 'bad bluffs' make good bluffs, if you want to have a loose image then you should be reraising people light preflop with suited connectors and the like and you should be squeezing a lot but i seriously doubt that your postflop play is strong enough for you to be running these plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks... some good advice here.... Ignoring the gratuitous insult would be +EV because I need to be going in there with confidence... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

If you can not afford a rebuy then you should not be playing in a rebuy tournament. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if the tourney is as described above, where most players will not be rebuying? say, an average of 3-4 rebuys per night? Not your typical "rebuy tournament." Period?

I wonder, quite seriously, what the best strategy would be to play this type of tournament with an unlimited bankroll? I mean, doesn't a huge part of the +EV in rebuy tournaments come from the multiple rebuys that your oppponents are making, thereby making the pot sweeter? If, as is true in this case, the number of rebuys is doubtless going to be very tiny, does it make $ and +EV sense to attack this tournament in "quick chip accumulator rebuy-ready mode"? Without running numbers, I would think that if I was, say, the only person rebuying, I would get to a point where the chances of me making a net positive finish (6th place and above?) not worth pursuing, considering the $ outlay.

Thanks everyone for your advice and input.... I'll let you know how it turns out....
Old 11-29-2006, 05:38 PM

Can I have your $500 instead of the guys lucky enough to play with you?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:44 AM

Thanks again everyone.... I just got home from the tournament -- I won it -- first place! $6100 cold hard cash.

There was only one rebuy at my table -- and 3 players got knocked out the first hour.
I played the cards I was dealt... remained patient... and pressed when the opportunities arose. I got some good starting cards early, and was able to cultivate a 'solid' image right away, showing down a few good hands from the start.
After the first half hour until the very end of the tournament, I DON'T THINK I PLAYED A SINGLE HAND ALL THE WAY TO SHOWDOWN (except all-ins) -- it was either me doing the raising (bluffing) opponents out of pots, or them raising me out. And after I was tournament chipleader when we were down to two tables, people got close, but I consistently put medium-short stacks to tough decisions for all of their chips.... and I didn't ever give up the chiplead from there.
In fact, when we were down to 3-handed, I must have had 70% of the chips... heads up play was one hand.

There were actually very few interesting hands along the way -- there were some big pots for lots of chips, and I was keen to exploit a couple of the players' bubble-play weak tendencies.
... all in all, a very fun night -- and wouldn't you know, they've rooked me in to 'sponsoring' next month's game... (which means a $500 expenditure for the room, soda, beer, food, etc.)....
THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE....
Old 11-30-2006, 02:36 AM

Nice score. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2006, 03:43 AM

congrats!