Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Brian Townsend\'s Downswing (for all the Brian Townsend haters)

To OP: Welcome to the internet.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:19 PM

Ah shucks OP, you're making me shed tears.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 PM

i root for brian to do well and i hope he'll turn things back around. but i do recall a post on 2+2 he made about how he "understands variance" better than virtually anyone. but i don't think he ever realized (or yet does) just how hot he ran up to this point. my honest opinion. i still think he's an amazing player
Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM

If there was ever a lifetime graph I'd like to see...
Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Every time Townsend experiences a downswing of magnitude, he blames his play. He asks himself tough questions about his psychological/emotional state and his concentration. He looks on the problem in terms of opponents, to paraphrase "I should be able to crush these guys."

He is headed for a classic gambler's ruin where the variance kills him because he refuses to recognize that such variance is normal and expected and will have a nasty feedback effect on anyone's psychological/emotional state until their play really does begin to suffer.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is complete nonsense, Townsend probably has less ego than any other top pro in that regard. He took a shot in the big live game during the WSOP and got killed for whatever reason, but who can blame him for trying? He may go busto but I have no doubt that he'll come back.

I'm as jealous of Townsend as anyone, but I don't wish him bad luck or anything, I have great respect for him.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:56 PM

Only time will tell if Brian really has what it takes. It's going to be interesting in the coming months to see if he really can survive in the world of high stakes gambool.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:01 PM

I LOL at calling anybody that young one of the best holdem players in the world. How can someone playing a short time 2 =3 years be considered one of the best.
He is having a bad run . I assume his first (getting life lessons are hard)and will not be this last. Part of growing up. I feel sorry for all the KIDS quiting their jobs to play poker. The test of time will tell you are the best.
I also am NOT impressed by very wealth people playing high stakes poker and being considered great,just because they play high stakes.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I LOL at calling anybody that young one of the best holdem players in the world. How can someone playing a short time 2 =3 years be considered one of the best.
He is having a bad run . I assume his first (getting life lessons are hard)and will not be this last. Part of growing up. I feel sorry for all the KIDS quiting their jobs to play poker. The test of time will tell you are the best.
I also am NOT impressed by very wealth people playing high stakes poker and being considered great,just because they play high stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's probably played more NLHE than any old-school live player
Old 08-14-2007, 01:16 PM

Posts like the one from OP never fail to creep me out. All I could think of while reading that was Michael Jackson, little children, and a Peter Pan outfit.
Is that weird?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Every time Townsend experiences a downswing of magnitude, he blames his play. He asks himself tough questions about his psychological/emotional state and his concentration. He looks on the problem in terms of opponents, to paraphrase "I should be able to crush these guys."

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it wiser to try and find faults with your game instead of just calling it a downswing or variance?