Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Brian Townsend\'s Downswing (for all the Brian Townsend haters)

Just a minute ago, I read this thread that makes me wanna puke. web page

How can anyone hate Brian? For all 2p2ers, Brian represents the ultimate dream of a poker player. He started from scratch and hit the top of the mountain in just two years. Two years ago, he was just like us, posting hands and wishing some day we can play the likes of phil ivey, PA, Gus etc.. Four months ago, i read Brian's original post of his story, that was probably the most inspiring post on 2p2 ever. I loved poker before, very much. That post made me love poker even more. His story ispires me to work at my game and try to improve as a poker player. It gives me a goal. It gives me a reason to really work hard for.

Lately, there are a lot of posts about brian being a busto or whatever. He took a shot and exprienced a downswing. Most of us had that, just at much smaller stakes. He sat with the best of the bests and was not afraid to play his game. So what if he lost. Give the man some props.

So basically what im saying is dont kick a man when he is down. Dont built your happiness on someone's misery, thats a pathetic way to live. We all should be happy to be reading insights of the poker life of great player.

Best wish to Brian, and to all 2p2ers, peace.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Brian Townsend\'s Downswing (for all the Brian Townsend haters)

ban
Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM

1) Jealousy
2) IIRC, he said he was the best NL Holdem player in the world...or something like that. People hate that.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:46 AM

I feel you. Kicking a man when he is down is just pathetic. Also, I don't know Brian personally, but from what I've seen of him he seems like a class act. I hope he takes some time off to reflect on his game and rebuild. I definitely think he is one of the top players in the world.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lately, there are a lot of posts about brian being a busto or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with your post.

But I still LOL'ed at being a busto.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:57 AM

Your post definitely deserved a whole new thread on this. Thank you.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ban

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-14-2007, 12:03 PM

Agreed.... I think he is the first High stakes player to actually admitt and post his losses to the public, When you get to that level your ego plays a huge roll, and admitting you are not playing your best just goes to show how good of a player he really is. I seriously doubt he is bust though and laugh at the people on this who think that. When's the last time you heard of Barry, Gus, phil, and so forth talk about running bad??? props to brian, Funny how some people like to critique his play and talk about the mistakes he made in his hands yet i seriously doubt anyone would play him heads up here
Old 08-14-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lately, there are a lot of posts about brian being a busto or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with your post.

But I still LOL'ed at being a busto.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's recently taken on a noun status as well and I approve of this linguistic evolution.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:08 PM

A month ago when I predicted in this forum that Townsend would be busto by end-of-year, you all dog-piled on me, irrationally so.

The scenario is playing out just as I predicted. Witness:

[ QUOTE ]
I have been getting murdered HU at 300/600. I feel like I have a massive edge over my opponents but just can't seem to win. I think if you asked any high stakes regular the opponents I have been playing aren't nearly as strong as some I have done well against in the past. Maybe that is part of the problem that I lack concentration and I am getting overconfident, which is definitely possible. I also had a family emergence last week which has continued until today and I have played the entire time which was not smart as my mind is wandering more than usual. Its really bad downswing (I think about 20-25BI but I need to check) and I understand HU poker has tons of variance but still I think I need to take some responsibility for my poor results. I think there must be something that I am not seeing that is wrong with my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time Townsend experiences a downswing of magnitude, he blames his play. He asks himself tough questions about his psychological/emotional state and his concentration. He looks on the problem in terms of opponents, to paraphrase "I should be able to crush these guys."

He is headed for a classic gambler's ruin where the variance kills him because he refuses to recognize that such variance is normal and expected and will have a nasty feedback effect on anyone's psychological/emotional state until their play really does begin to suffer.

He makes no effort to reduce his $ velocity. Yes he takes breaks, but he comes back after huge downswings at the same stakes he played at previously. He looks on gambling like a physical sport, such as rugby, in which there can only be one answer for poor performance: not trying hard enough.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not gonna lie or sugar coat anything. Times are tough right now. Though they aren't as tough as they were last April when I had my big plo downswing. Its very reassuring that I had so much success after that tough time. I know that I am going to rebound stronger than before as I always seem to do. I am at a poker low right now but my last low was much lower. I know that I will build upon this and be a stronger player for it. I think my opponents respect my PLO game much more than they used to and hopefully I can fix my HU game.

[/ QUOTE ]

He sees serious bankroll setbacks as opportunities to become a stronger player, rather than the potentially cataclysmic random events that they are.

In short, Townsend violates the first rule of professional gambling/trading: Never mistake what is actually happenning for what you think should be happenning.

Sklansky has chimed in here and there and generally agrees with my take on variance as it affects professional gamblers/traders who have never been busto before. It's a tough lesson to learn the hard way, and Townsend is directly headed towards learning it the hard way.

Gambling/trading is NOT like physical sports. It is also NOT like the craft-like professions, such as engineering and software development. Those who do not recognize the devastating potential of random downswings to destroy their game and force them outside of prudent risk management strategies will go busto.

As I stated previously, I have never known or even heard of a professional trader/gambler who has not gone big-time busto at least once in their career.

I give Townsend until the end of the year to be busto. Yes, my timing may be off, just like an astute short-seller's timing is off, but ultimately Townsend will crash and burn.