Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: car totaled... insurance claims negotiation?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any suggestions for other replacement cars to beat on for a while? (~10k)

I'm leaning towards an 02 maxima right now, just because I like the torquey 3.5L VQ engine.

I'm not sure if I could bring myself to drive another 4cyl, even though gas is killing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a frigging manual transmission and having a 4cyl won't matter in regards to acceleration. I had a Prelude SI and now have a Sentra, both stick and there's no comparing them to a 4cyl automatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Z,

That VQ is a beauty though I doubt you can get it in the 10K range. Drawback to the Maxima is of course the FWD.

Twist,

I'm glad you've enjoyed your 4 cylinders but you basically have no clue what you are talking about. Yes the manual is more responsive but no it does not magically double torque. Drive a 350Z with any transmission and then reconsider your position.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

J - I'm seeing 2002 Maxima's (first year w/ the 3.5), around 70k miles for $9000-$9500ish. I think that's my target.

And I agree - no manual transmission makes up for a lack of torque. I believe automatic trans's lose something like 20% of the power to the wheels while manuals lose around 15%. That 5% does not make up for 100 horsepower [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, I have no intention of driving a manual here in DC where stop-and-go traffic is ridiculously bad.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:30 AM

0-60 #'s:

2002 Maxima (3.5L V6) - around 6.5s
2000 Prelude SH (2.2L V4) - around 7.5s
Old 10-20-2007, 11:33 AM

ToTheFelt - you have a PM
Old 10-20-2007, 07:14 PM

My car was recently totalled and I was really surprised at how generous their offer was. The car was less than 6 months old, only a few thousand miles on it. They offered me about $2500 more than I paid for it (including tax, registration, everything). Went out and bought a new one for $1000 less than I paid the first time around, so I came out ahead about $3500. I don't really understand why they would offer me more than it costs to buy an identical car brand new, but not complaining.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Initial offers are very negotiable, because the insurance company won't want to pay a lawyer to fight you in court. I got a pro bono client more than double KBB for his car. Your car looks old enough that you could sue in small claims court without the need for a lawyer. Start off with a high demand, and gradually come down as they go up. Hold out until just before your case is scheduled for trial and take the last offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this seems ridiculously high? How were you able that they should pay more than double the car was worth?

Was this including bodily injury too, or just the negotiation for the vehicle?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was only for the car. His car was worth around $1700 according to KBB. He got a quote to get his car fixed for $3200, and they told him it would take at least three weeks to fix. He was old. We told the insurer we wanted repair value and three weeks loss of use as $100/day. Insurer denied the car was worth that much, so we filed suit in magistrate court. As trial got closer, they kept upping their offer, and we slowly dropped our demand. Just before trial, they offered $3600. It costs an insurer a lot of money to try a case, so they will settle for more than a car is worth to avoid trial. Moreover, there is a chance that you will win on your crazy demand.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sweet, Im sure we are all glad we can pay higher rates so people can get double what their car is worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

My job was to get my client as much as I could, not to get him what was "fair" for everybody.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:16 PM

I'm a claims adjuster and handle total losses on a daily basis. Our offer is made off of NADA and then adjusted for condition of vehicle. We start with a "perfect" car, and then decrease for any prior damage. New tires typically do you no good, as tires are needed to make the car worth anything anyhow. If you don't think you have a fair offer at hand, you need to prove to the insurance company why it isn't fair. I.e. get on auto trader and find cars that have the IDENTICAL options and mileage to compare to and pray they are significantly more than your offer, if they are slightly more, they will do you no good as most dealerships will negotiate pricing.

Next, you typically have the right to an "appraisal clause" in your policy contract. You pay for an appraisor, we pay for an appraisor, and you pray they meet a common ground, if not, the two appraisors agree on a 3rd, and we split the cost of the 3rd.

I'm not sure which JV insurance company the above poster beat up in court, but I can guarantee it wasn't one of the major ones. Our policy contract is air tight, and appraisal is the required step before any kind of legal action can be taken against us on this matter. Legal action before hand is a breach of contract on the insureds part.

Most insurance companies are going to make a fair offer right off the bat. If they don't, it could be considered acting in "bad faith" and cause all kinds of problems to say the least.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away, I'll be glad to help.

w
Old 10-20-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a claims adjuster and handle total losses on a daily basis. Our offer is made off of NADA and then adjusted for condition of vehicle. We start with a "perfect" car, and then decrease for any prior damage. New tires typically do you no good, as tires are needed to make the car worth anything anyhow. If you don't think you have a fair offer at hand, you need to prove to the insurance company why it isn't fair. I.e. get on auto trader and find cars that have the IDENTICAL options and mileage to compare to and pray they are significantly more than your offer, if they are slightly more, they will do you no good as most dealerships will negotiate pricing.

Next, you typically have the right to an "appraisal clause" in your policy contract. You pay for an appraisor, we pay for an appraisor, and you pray they meet a common ground, if not, the two appraisors agree on a 3rd, and we split the cost of the 3rd.

I'm not sure which JV insurance company the above poster beat up in court, but I can guarantee it wasn't one of the major ones. Our policy contract is air tight, and appraisal is the required step before any kind of legal action can be taken against us on this matter. Legal action before hand is a breach of contract on the insureds part.

Most insurance companies are going to make a fair offer right off the bat. If they don't, it could be considered acting in "bad faith" and cause all kinds of problems to say the least.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away, I'll be glad to help.

w

[/ QUOTE ]

You are overlooking that this claim, like my client's claim, is a third party claim, so the appraisal clause is irrelevant. And, it was GEICO that I beat up, not some chop shop. Also, I am not saying their opening offers weren't reasonable. He merely asked if he could get more, which he can.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:14 PM

Yep, missed that. The appraisal clause is junk when dealing with a claimant not an insured. In your case, Geico basically decided it was cheaper to pay then it was to fight.

Congrats on the win. You did your job and got your client more money. Insurance companies ultimately have to decide when it is cheaper to just pay than it is to fight. In your case, Geico decided not fight it. Court is an expensive proposition. If it had been a larger amount of $$$ they probably fight you tooth and nail.