Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Between a rock and a hard place - stud hi

Was calling 4th wrong - given the possiblity of being re-raised, or is it ok to call/fold here?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (5.10 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.55 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (7.55 BB)

Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (9.55 BB)

Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (9.55 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $95.50 Main pot $92.50 Rake $3

Seat 7: [Ks Kc Ts Td 8c 2c 2d] (Two Pairs, Kings and Tens, Eight high)

Hero: [Ah Ac 6h 6s Jd 9d 7h] (Two Pairs, Aces and Sixes, Jack high)

</font>
Old 11-03-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Between a rock and a hard place - stud hi

it's fine, now bet the river for value please
Old 11-03-2007, 07:23 PM

Seat 3 almost never has flush draw on 4th. Bet against river check. Seat 7 had t98 or some other straightish hand to start. You actually underplayed your aces on 4th street. I wonder if we should not raise 4th sometimes.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:10 PM

The flush wasn't bothering me so much as the 2 hands on either side that had paired their doors. Chances of one or other having made trips would be doubled, and either could have 2 pair, since they had called a raise on 3rd. There was the chance that having called a double bet it might be raised after or maybe raised and re-raised. If seat one had not folded i'd have been very uneasy.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:35 PM

Seat 1 has trip 9s once in a blue moon. You have a 9 raising 4th would quickly tell you if TT has trips. There is no way that TT doesnt reraise 4th without at least two pair or more likely trips. That said, im not brave/stupid enough to do 4th street raise too often. Btw, why wouldn't TT go for check/raise or check/call on 4th if he had trips.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seat 1 has trip 9s once in a blue moon. You have a 9 raising 4th would quickly tell you if TT has trips. There is no way that TT doesnt reraise 4th without at least two pair or more likely trips. That said, im not brave/stupid enough to do 4th street raise too often. Btw, why wouldn't TT go for check/raise or check/call on 4th if he had trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol but why would a lonely pair of tens bet out into that many opponents after the action on 3rd.
I think your ahead, never. But i wouldent release the hand this early either, i might ponder and see where it leads me.
And bet the river for value, his not checking tens or kings full.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:16 AM

I've seen a lot of ppl in tourneys try to represent trips by betting out on 3rd, the guy with TT may think hero doesnt have aces, or that FE exists, he also could be a moron. At minimum hero bets river. My point was that as far as non standard plays go in a fixed limit game, raising a semi competent player to see if they really have trips is a quick way to save some bets. The was hero played it he puts in 2 big bets on 5th and 6th, and may even have to call on 7th just incase. So hero pays 2-3 Big bets to find out if villian has him beat or 1 extra small bet.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:54 AM

You played this just fine until the river. He didn't check a full house. Get your money in there.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:06 AM

To me this kind of looks like he made 3 pair. He has a mid-pair down and he likes his hand on 4th because he has 2 pair. 5th doesn't make your hand any scarier and 6th gives him a BETTER 2 pair, although in his spot I'd be afraid you just made aces up. And maybe he decides you did since he checks 7th.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:35 AM

I'm still not sure about re-raising 4th. I called mainly because seat 7 max bet instead of half-bet which I thought might be more likely if he did have trips - would he want to keep aces and possibly smaller trips in or would he prefer to just win it immmediately and not risk me catching 3rd ace or seat 1 filling up. I think he was smart though and probably wanted to test if i was really on aces or not and also test seat 1s strength.