Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Bulking: Clean Diet?

I realize this thread is pretty old, but I haven't seen it before. Anyways, I have to say I prefer to be in the "clean-bulking" camp. This has probably been posted somewhere, but is certainly worth a repost in my opinion.

Christian Thibaudeau's "The Truth About Bulking"

Great read.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize this thread is pretty old, but I haven't seen it before. Anyways, I have to say I prefer to be in the "clean-bulking" camp. This has probably been posted somewhere, but is certainly worth a repost in my opinion.

Christian Thibaudeau's "The Truth About Bulking"

Great read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the article sucks it pretty hard.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/read...7&pageNo=0

[/ QUOTE ]

Bahaha. 1.3xbodyweight squat after 5 years training loooooooooooooooooooooool. 90% of not overweight women could get that in a 1/3 the time

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing, I know plenty of people who have been training a number of years whom you couldn't tell work out. I don't see many powerlifters or oly lifters under 150 who look significantly different from normal people...

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHHAHAHA

[ QUOTE ]
You could pull any guy off the street and chances are his lifts would be worse than mine, and his body would look worse as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

COUGH 5 YEARS OF "TRAINING" BAHAHAHHAHA

[ QUOTE ]
About the gains, keep in mind I haven't seriously trained my legs with weights for a long time

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, these guys are seriously my heroes for life.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:19 PM

I'm curious, why does it suck?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his caloric requirements are too rigid and very poor. I also disagree with his entire idea of gaining lean muscle with minimal fat gain. This isn't realistic for most people at all. Most people are happy to bulk 1:1 and then strip the fat off. He also presents people looking better when lean like some sort of breakthrough. Thanks genius, maybe someone he's actually done a bulk and owns a mirror could corroborate his story.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his caloric requirements are too rigid and very poor. I also disagree with his entire idea of gaining lean muscle with minimal fat gain. This isn't realistic for most people at all. Most people are happy to bulk 1:1 and then strip the fat off. He also presents people looking better when lean like some sort of breakthrough. Thanks genius, maybe someone he's actually done a bulk and owns a mirror could corroborate his story.

[/ QUOTE ]

the big problem I have with your post, is that it isnt that hard to gain lean muscle w/ little fat gain, a 1:1 ratio would be way too much for me. I did believe this when I first started lifting though, but than I learned that if you start w/ a low bf (ie keep it at 5 to 9%) all year round, that when you do a slower bulk, you dont gain as much fat, it may take a little longer, but its at a much better ratio, something like 2-3lbs of muscle for every pound, so in 4 to 5 months, you can put on 20lbs, and only 5 of it is fat, rather than doing a hardcore bulk of 12 weeks, and gaining 25 or 30lbs, at a worse ratio. I do sometimes do a "traditional" bulk, but this is just when Im lazy and want to eat a little more junk food.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:18 PM

guids,

Most people never get that low BF wise and carry it long term.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

[/ QUOTE ]

why? I consider anything above 10 or 11% to be too fat for anyone with goals of "looking good naked", and whats the point of trying to put on muscle (other than the obv sports etc), if you are too fat to see it?

Im genuinely curious now as to what you guys keep your body fat percentage at year round, imo, if your goal is to look good with a shirt off, anything over 12% is "too fat"
Old 08-12-2007, 09:40 PM

thremp,

i've always been a bit surprised by your ideas of bulking since you always state that you lift for looks only...seems for someone with that goal they would want to bulk as cleanly as possible...
Old 08-12-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guids,

[/ QUOTE ]

why? I consider anything above 10 or 11% to be too fat for anyone with goals of "looking good naked", and whats the point of trying to put on muscle (other than the obv sports etc), if you are too fat to see it?

Im genuinely curious now as to what you guys keep your body fat percentage at year round, imo, if your goal is to look good with a shirt off, anything over 12% is "too fat"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm keeping mine in the low teens by guesstimation. I'm almost positive only a handful of people without significant chemical assistance can manage 5-7% year round 8-12% is more realistic for the vast majority of people to maintain on an ongoing basis. 5% is totally shredded considering pros get down to what... 3.5%?