Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 03:32 PM

Default Ruling Question

This hand came up the other day:

Player 1 bets the river and is called by Player 2.

The board is Q9T5J rainbow.
Player 1 tables AA. Player 2 shakes his head, says "that's good" and tables T8o.

The dealer grabs player 2's cards, pushes the pot to player 1 and starts preparing to stick the deck into the shufflemaster.

At this point, since Player 2's hand is now irretrievably gone, I interject that Player 2 must have felt so badly about hitting a gutshot on the river that he didn't want to take the pot with his straight. (P2 is a known steamer, and I was hoping this would push him over the edge---maybe I'm a bad person).

Floor comes over. Dealer agrees with me that the board gave P2 a str8, and the floor awards the pot to P2. Now there is some confusion about how big the pot was, so they finally "settle" on like $90.

Problems with the pot size aside, is this ruling correct?

Michael
Old 09-14-2006, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Ruling Question

Dealer cannot kill a tabled winning hand. Cards speak.

Ruling is correct.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:39 PM

ruling right. if dealer had not agreed, go to the cameras? shame on players for not being able to construct pot size themselves.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At this point, since Player 2's hand is now irretrievably gone, I interject that Player 2 must have felt so badly about hitting a gutshot on the river that he didn't want to take the pot with his straight. (P2 is a known steamer, and I was hoping this would push him over the edge---maybe I'm a bad person).

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you realized the mistake before his hand was killed and the pot pushed, and was only mentioning the error, not to make sure that the right person got the pot, but so you could tilt a player.

Beware of Karma.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:52 PM

I can't believe no one said anything...where I play EVERYONE reads the board and there's always one old asian guy who gets pissed at the dealer when they read it wrong. But I play $3/$6 so there are a lot of nits...
Old 09-14-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one said anything...where I play EVERYONE reads the board and there's always one old asian guy who gets pissed at the dealer when they read it wrong. But I play $3/$6 so there are a lot of nits...

[/ QUOTE ]

WHere I play it is some old guy that looks like he just got off of his tractor (midwest).
Old 09-15-2006, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(I didn't say anything until after the pot was pushed, because I love heated arguments that cause bitter feelings, and long delays in the game---maybe I'm a bad person).
Michael

[/ QUOTE ]