Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Enlisting in Navy Under SEAL Challenge Contract

[ QUOTE ]
I don't wanna shoot innocent people to protect an oil rig for dick cheney.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you feel about shooting people of somewhat questionable innocence to protect an oil rig for dick cheney?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm most concerned about the role. I don't wanna shoot innocent people to protect an oil rig for dick cheney. I'm convinced there is more to the current war than America is being told. If it's noble, I'd be proud to fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will not be a SEAL. This type of thinking is exactly what they do not want in a SEAL. They do not want smart individuals. They want people who will follow orders precisely, without question. If you're bright and can improvise they'll love you even more. But showing signs of independent thought, especially contrary to orders or doctrine, they will kick you from the program.

It also sounds like you've decided that you would like to do this one a whim. You certainly won't make it through training unless you are absolutely sure this is what you want to do. If you falter even for a second, you will fail. The training program is DESIGNED to break you if they can.

Also keep in mind that if you sign on the dotted line and don't make it into a SEAL unit because of your attitude, physical failure, inability to follow orders, whatever else it may be, you won't be going back to your normal life. You will spend your next few years in another position in the Navy. If that is something you are not willing to accept, don't even try for the SEAL program.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:04 AM

When I was in the Navy a very good friend of mine was a SEAL. We went to OCS together and then both went to Coronado, he for SEAL training and me for surface warfare school. His training was pure hell with an over 50% dropout rate. I was privy to some of the very private goings on he confided to me and I honestly don't want to repeat them them here. But the training is intense beyond comprehension. This was back in the 70's though so I don't know much of the current environment.

My friends roomate was the only other Officer in his class and ended up being a tragic story. The day they finally completed training and graduated he took a .45 and blew his own brains out.

I guess my point is you should really make sure you are committed to all of the physical and emotional abuse this will entail. It is a major and life changing commitment. My friend did his time and got out as soon as he could and became a school teacher.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:53 AM

Had a friend I went to HS with who tried to do this about 5-10 years ago. He was an (ocean) lifeguard for several years prior to this and in very good shape; about a 7:00 pace (5 miles) and could easily exceed the standards for pushups/situps and swimming.

Back in December I saw him again for the first time since and asked him about it. He basically said that the training was insane and well beyond the realm of anything I could comprehend. He said most of the time he had no idea what he was doing, because he was so friggin exhausted. Said all he wanted to do was sleep, and couldn't, and it drove him nuts. I think he said he had like a total of 5 hours of sleep in the entire time he was there, close to three weeks. He said most of his class dropped out before the first week ended. Said he made it three weeks in before dropping. Said he would never, ever try anything like that ever again. He's a landscaper now, owns his own business, and does really nice paver driveways.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, i was a lifeguard/scuba diver. The physical part should be fine for me.
I'm most concerned about the role. I don't wanna shoot innocent people to protect an oil rig for dick cheney. I'm convinced there is more to the current war than America is being told. If it's noble, I'd be proud to fight. I'd love to snatch and grab/rescue prisoners/shoot terrorist/reclaim nuclear weapons all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only should you forget about joining the Seals, I think you should forget about the armed forces period. Soldiers shouldn't be thinking about how just the war is. Soldiers just do what they are damn well told to do. No one is going to ask your opinion and if I was going to be fighting next to you and found out you might not be capable of shooting "innocent" enemies, I would be liable to shoot you myself before I had to find out.

Also I hope you are capable of getting in a lot better shape if you have any hope of joining an elite fighting unit. The numbers you quoted for pushups and situps are a joke.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:08 AM

I really appreciate your candor. I'd have no trouble shooting armed/dangerous people. Also, are my numbers really bad? Cause thats all within 40 minutes and timed pushups/situps?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:11 AM

Posting here will be of minimal use.

Go here to read posts from the real deal from SEAL, SF, Force Recon and PJ's as well as LEO's, Marines and all other manner of soldier.

There's LOADS of information, so make sure you read alot before you make your first post, because i guarantee anything you would post has already been put up by somebody else.

How old are you? Here is the SEAL forum.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I hope you are capable of getting in a lot better shape if you have any hope of joining an elite fighting unit. The numbers you quoted for pushups and situps are a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]Wow. 84 straight good pushups are a joke? What is a standard number for someone in an elite fighting unit?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Wow. 84 straight good pushups are a joke? What is a standard number for someone in an elite fighting unit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those numbers are just fine. Seriously, all that [censored] will come with the training. They operate on a crawl, walk, run mentality. Of all my research (though it has been focused on SFAS, but the principals are the same) the MAIN thing you should worry about is how well you run/ruck/march.

Fydor is right, but about the wrong thing. Crap like:

I'd love to snatch and grab/rescue prisoners/shoot terrorist/reclaim nuclear weapons all day.

Should be WIPED from 75s head. This isn't Rainbow Six, this is training for an elite Military combat unit. He really need to reconsider why he is joining.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:22 AM

I have no idea what a SEAL should be able to do but I'm sure it should be more than me. I'm 53 and I can do that many in a row. When I was younger I could do 100+ on one arm. I can still do 50+ and don't think I'm in any kind of great shape. I'm at least 10 lbs overweight.

This isn't meant to be a brag, I'm just giving a frame of reference. i.e. a fat old man can do that many pushups.