Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: halo 3 beta released tomorrow, mb 12am tonight ?

who cares what your body looks like when you are dead floating down the river? do you really notice this the 2nd or 3rd day playing the game? Solid multiplayer gameplay is the only thing that really keeps people playing the game.

/end rant, Sorry, I just feel like I set myself up for a big fall for the 2nd time with bungie and they also robbed me of another $60 which I plan to get back.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:59 AM

A few things I dislike.

- lock on off of rockets. Initially I liked this, but how in the hell are we supposed to kill a banshee now. I'd love to see someone try and kill a banshee on coag now without lock on.

- when you shoot someone now it looks similar to when you shoot someone with overshield in halo 2. It's nitpicking but it annoys me.

- Having to press L to dual wield. Gay

I do like the Laser, and the AR. They need to add more ammo for the AR though, the clip runs out way too quick compared to the SMG. I do like that it has a longer range though.

Also being able to pick up a turret is awesome.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 AM

My take on the pros/cons:

Pros:

VIP team skirmish game types. Loads of fun.

It seems they've removed overshield spawns from the game.

Picking up turrets!

A starting weapon that's actually capable of killing.

The 'extra' items. They're generally pretty useless, but at least they're something new to experiment with.

The needler is now a very legitimate weapon. It tears apart players who don't strafe/jump enough in combat.

Removing auto-lock from the rocket launcher. It also seems that the velocity of rockets has increased and their blast radius decreased. Makes it a slightly more skill based weapon overall.

The 'rank' system. The more matches you play and win the higher your rank goes. Unlike skill level, it can't go down unless you leave a match early. It's useless, but fun.

Enemy voice chat is disabled by default in rated matches. No more bothering with slightly post-pubescent annoyances.

Cons:

It's the same damned game with the same damned glitches. Halo 3 isn't much more than a port of the Halo 2 engine. The blue screen is now the black screen.

The sniper rifle is still mad overpowered with magnetism/auto-aiming.

The carbine is now overpowered compared to the human BR.

They completely took out pistols?? Maybe they're just not in the beta.

The graphics are atrocious for a next gen game. Probably again related to it being little more than a Halo 2 port.

The new vehicle (Mongoose) is extremely generic and relatively useless.

Battles are most often still decided by spray and pray.

Spawn camping. Nuf said.

Shotty sniper game types.

Initially frag grenades were too weak. It now appears they've made them too strong.

The laser is hugely unbalanced. It's a one hit kill weapon (including vehicles) with a wide damage radius and huge range. The 4 second charge time and visual hints that appear on a target's screen are supposed to balance it, but there's absolutely no reason to aim it at anybody until you've already charged it a few seconds - completely negating all its negatives.

All in all it's a solid port of Halo 2 with some weapon tweaks and a couple of new items. It's not worth $60 (and LOL if anybody actually buys the $100 'legendary' [price] version). If Halo 2 had originally been a 360 game, this would be a decent $10-$20 add on download.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:07 AM

like it was said, the laser weapon is too strong with regards to range/radius and power...

the VIP game is awesome though, lots of fun...
Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 PM

Dual spikers [censored] RAPE fools. In case anyone hasn't figured this out yet. They're most optimal in a close-range battle, but on a map like High Ground where you're running around inside I think I'm yet to lose a 1 on 1 battle within 30 feet while wielding those bad boys.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:45 PM

Dire, I think the final product will be much better overall.

Also the pistol in halo 3 is rumored to be very similar to the halo 1 pistol. They're definitely not removing it all together though, just like I highly doubt they would remove sword which isn't in the beta either. Bungie is smart, they wont just get rid of something they know everyone loves.

I actually like shotty snipers alot. I'm curious what you think about trying to kill a banshee without being able to lock on with rockets? That's the one thing I dont like about them taking it away, and I think it's significant unless they get rid of banshees all together.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dire, I think the final product will be much better overall.

Also the pistol in halo 3 is rumored to be very similar to the halo 1 pistol. They're definitely not removing it all together though, just like I highly doubt they would remove sword which isn't in the beta either. Bungie is smart, they wont just get rid of something they know everyone loves.

I actually like shotty snipers alot. I'm curious what you think about trying to kill a banshee without being able to lock on with rockets? That's the one thing I dont like about them taking it away, and I think it's significant unless they get rid of banshees all together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Banshees spawn in Valhalla in big team battle now. They've been massively gimped. They don't hover very well anymore making it difficult to kill with them. Also, the gauss cannon now locks onto vehicles so it'd be a fine way to kill them. Not to mention the laser, but I think/hope that weapon gets seriously nerfed before release.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:04 PM

Damn mine keeps freezing every time i play a match online WTF.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:33 PM

Is there a way to select a certain game mode?

I haven't played the VIP game, what is it? Like the Hunted in TFC?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:50 PM

4-player Coop over Xbox Live. Link