Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 02:01 AM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

[ QUOTE ]
Duke's a tough up and coming program that is going to present real problems for the Irish. Why don't they play army this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they knew the humiliation of a service academy sweep would be too much to handle
Old 11-11-2007, 02:47 AM

Maybe somewhat off-topic, but a friend of a friend plays for Washington and he said that Ty is a pretty weird dude. He is always philosophical, for example, if a player says, "Hey what's up?", Ty scratches his chin as if he's Plato and says "I don't know what IS up?" According to this player, he treats every discussion as if it is some ultra-important life lesson and he can't be light-hearted about anything.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:37 AM

To pretty much everyone in this thread:

Old 11-11-2007, 04:58 AM

Not sure what's left to write at this point.

Weis has clearly lost this team. They're undisciplined, can't block, can't tackle, and act like they don't want to be out on the football field. It seems the team has said [censored] it and just wants the season to end. I've seen baseball teams 30 games out of first place in September play with more passion and urgency.

This is clearly one of the worst teams in college football history. What is so disheartening is the abject lack of any improvement from week to week. OK, he tried a gimmick scheme the first week and set back his players' development. Fine. Still there's no reason they should be THIS BAD against THIS opposition THIS LATE in the season.

If Irish fans want to blame Ty for not having a championship caliber team this season, that's fine. By that same token, total blame falls on Weis for not fielding even a remotely competitive team against mediocre opposition.

I expect we'll rightfully be underdogs to both Duke and Stanford. I assess the probability of a 1-11 season to be in the neighborhood of 50%.

The current recruiting class, assuming it holds together (a big assumption at this point) is his only saving grace. He'll need at least 8 wins next year to keep his job (which right now I will believe when I see).

The one concession I ask is for the lame "Fat Charlie" and "Jabba the Weis" jokes to stop. It's a huge insult to other fat coaches who are actually good at what they do like Mark Mangino at Kansas or Rick Majarus of Saint Louis's basketball squad.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:40 AM

last poster had good writeup. the whole situation is weird. i think ND should be much more patient in general with football coaches, but this is a bit much. .. as much as i'd like to see it, i can not see duke favored over ND or anywhere even close. we'll see.. stanford = probably favoured.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:07 AM

Yeah, Duke's pretty awful this year and their actually a really good matchup for Notre Dame. I think a fair line would have Notre Dame favored by 6 or 7 next week. Stanford? That's a totally different matter. They're significantly better than the Irish and should probably be favored by 7 at home. I'd expect ND to finish the season 2-10.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Charlie Weis is just outright awful

If he was black, he'd be fired

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree. This is piss [censored] poor. And he should have done MORE than he did the previous two years given the talent he had at his disposal.

Win 9 games and be competitive in the ones you lose next year Charlie or GTFO. And STFU in the here and now.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The one concession I ask is for the lame "Fat Charlie" and "Jabba the Weis" jokes to stop. It's a huge insult to other fat coaches who are actually good at what they do like Mark Mangino at Kansas or Rick Majarus of Saint Louis's basketball squad.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are totally right. That is really lame. The fat jokes are weak and lame. Especially when all of these problem are the fault of a skinny black dude! (Sorry, could not resist! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

Seriously, you make a good point.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never mind. I give up. It's really easy to attack, when your point is "he sucks" I'll revive this thread in 2009.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's when you're predicting they'll finally bite down and cut CW loose?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Post pictures insulting Weis, calling him fat and stupid over and over the joke really never gets old.

[/ QUOTE ]

"They're going to have to learn about us, OK? Let them try to stop a pro-style offense, which has multiple personnel groups and multiple formations. Let's see how they are going to do. They've had their advantage because I've come into recruiting late. Well, now it's Xs and Os time. Let's see who has the advantage now." - Charlie Weis

With Charlie Weis clearly displaying his arrogant douchebaggery again and again (as seen in quotes like the one above), coupled with the ND fan base buying into all the hype by spending two years pimping for a guy who's best accomplishment is losing a close game at home...all the mocking and scorn and jokes seem beyond well-deserved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think Charlie ever stopped to consider *why* no other college teams run a "pro-style" offense?