Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Books: What are you reading tonight?

SoloAJ, no problem, I love discovering new horror stuff. When it works, it really really works! And a cold winter night is indeed a great time to snuggle up with a horror story. Especially if the wind is howling ...
Old 10-06-2007, 07:50 PM

I'm about half way into this one. Very interesting - I didn't fully appreciate the importance or influence of evolution before reading.

-Craig
Old 10-06-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SoloAJ, no problem, I love discovering new horror stuff. When it works, it really really works! And a cold winter night is indeed a great time to snuggle up with a horror story. Especially if the wind is howling ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read and enjoy "The Mist" Blarg?

Reading the story and listening to the decent radio show thing got me pretty pumped about the movie coming out. It's got a good King-director in Darabont and I am a fan of Thomas Jane.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:12 PM

I've never read that one, SoloAJ. I try not to get too excited about horror movies because they usually have at best one or two good moments, but like all true horror fans, that's often enough for me to see a movie. Just not enough to recommend anyone else see it! I kinda cross my fingers and hope for the best when it comes to horror flicks. I want to see a lot more Japanese horror flicks. They are pretty good with ghosts, and their ghosts are sometimes as much demon as ghost. I think I want to gives some Japanese horror manga a crack, too.

I've been playing Diablo 2 lately, and it has reminded me how much I love those spooky/demonic thrills. I feel like picking up a short story soon myself. I might buy that The Dark Descent collection from Amazon.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:21 PM

I'm officially recommending reading "The Mist" if you like the tense atmosphere sort of stuff. It's quite effective and spooky. I would equate it to how I remember "Alone in the Dark" (the original polygon game) being when I played it when I was younger. There wasn't anything jump out at you scary necessarily, just like...you can feel the character's fear sort of. Shrug, hard to explain. Give it a try when you get some time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And I hear that praise for Japanese horror all of the time. I really wish I would get through every other kick I'm on right now (Classic movies, cheap slasher horror, books based on movies) and move onto my Japanese film kick. I hear great things and I just haven't gotten around to watching any of them.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:03 PM

Yeah I know what you mean. That's the cool and frustrating thing about the world at the same time. So much is interesting out there, but there are only so many hours in the day/in a life.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:22 AM

A friend suggested I read The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis, and I'm very glad he did. After reading a book that isn't poker related, and not a textbook, for the first time in months, I realized I had forgotten how beneficial variety in what one reads really is. I'm now compelled to greatly expand my library. Donations please [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2007, 08:55 PM

"god is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens.

One little tidbit that I find interesting in the chapter on Islam:

We have all heard of how suicide bombers on a jihad are supposed to get 32 virgins in heaven from allah as their reward. Well, Chritopher Hitchens points out in his book, as do other scholars, that in a more accurate translation of the Koran from the original Syriac language it was written in, that these suicide bombers are actually promised "Sweet white raisins and plums" in heaven as their reward from Allah for their suicide jihad. I don't think too many guys would blow themselves up for some raisins and plums...
Old 10-07-2007, 09:07 PM

so, they're organic?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so, they're organic?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about their 'organic' qualities, but since the Koran was passed down a few years before Monsanto, Dow Chemical, and others started making pesticides I would presume that the raisins that the muslim suicide bombers received for their carnage would indeed be 'organic."

But as Hitchens points out, most religions were started by people who couldn't even read and then hundreds of years later these myths and legends were continually passed down and eventually written down. So the authors of these religions wouldn't know what organic means.

If we are fortunate in the years to come most people will feel it is just as foolish to worship jesus or mohammed as most people feel today about worshipping Zeus or Thor or some other manmade myth. Zeus, Thor, Jesus, Mohammod - there all the same really.