Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 10:15 PM

Default baseball rule question

Inspired by Aaron Hill's steal of home, I was wondering what would happen if a batter stole home and the pitcher didn't notice and threw the pitch anyway and it hit the batter as he was crossing the plate.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: baseball rule question

[ QUOTE ]
Inspired by Aaron Hill's steal of home, I was wondering what would happen if a batter stole home and the pitcher didn't notice and threw the pitch anyway and it hit the batter as he was crossing the plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stealer is safe, and umpire calls the ball a ball or a strike at his discretion, but I assume that it is dead concerning the advancement of other runners on base.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stealer is safe, and umpire calls the ball a ball or a strike at his discretion, but I assume that it is dead concerning the advancement of other runners on base.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened to me when umpiring 14-15 year old games, and I think this is right - I seem to remember agreeing on that.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 PM

Stealer is safe, batter goes to first on a HBP.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He used the word 'batter' to describe the offensive player who was trying to steal home, and I THINK thats who he meant got hit with the ball, not the actual guy at the plate. Not entirely sure though.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He used the word 'batter' to describe the offensive player who was trying to steal home, and I THINK thats who he meant got hit with the ball, not the actual guy at the plate. Not entirely sure though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my impression as well.

I think if the runner gets hit he scores and either it's a ball or strike depending on the umps view (hopefully there wasn't a swing in that spot so it's where it crossed or would have). If the batter gets hit and the runner had touched home then it's a run and the batter goes to first. If he's hit before the runner touches the plate it should be a dead ball and the runner would have to go back to third no matter how close he got.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:26 PM

oops I meant runner
Old 05-29-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the batter gets hit and the runner had touched home then it's a run and the batter goes to first. If he's hit before the runner touches the plate it should be a dead ball and the runner would have to go back to third no matter how close he got.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is right. If the runnner isn't intentionally interfering with the ball (like swats at it), he is entitled to run down that base path. If the ball happens to hit him before he gets his hand on home, the runner will still be safe. I'm also pretty confident that the ump makes a ball/strike judgment call. Not sure about the dead ball.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the batter gets hit and the runner had touched home then it's a run and the batter goes to first. If he's hit before the runner touches the plate it should be a dead ball and the runner would have to go back to third no matter how close he got.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is right. If the runnner isn't intentionally interfering with the ball (like swats at it), he is entitled to run down that base path. If the ball happens to hit him before he gets his hand on home, the runner will still be safe. I'm also pretty confident that the ump makes a ball/strike judgment call. Not sure about the dead ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, I was trying to say that if the batter gets hit before the runner crosses then the runner does not score. I'm sure of that. I'm not 100% but still pretty sure that if the runner crosses then the batter gets beaned the run counts.

If the runner gets hit then I agree with you. I'm not sure about the dead ball either but logically I think it shouldn't be. If it's a dead ball when it hits the runner then a runner that gets hit before reaching home would not score.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:01 AM

oh, misread you, ya