Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Noob Q#4: folding A2

On the turn I still had a chance of sneaking the high too, so I called, but is this an easy fold on the river?

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $43.09
UTG+1: $17.75
UTG+2: $32.72
Hero: $47.35
MP2: $24.75
MP3: $22.80
CO: $25.80
Button: $28.47
SB: $8.15
BB: $9.15

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, 3 folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($1.25, 5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $1.20</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($4.65, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $4.65</font>, BB folds, Hero calls (????).

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($13.45, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $13.45</font>, Hero ????
Old 04-12-2007, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Noob Q#4: folding A2

I think the flop is a fold but PLO8 makes even less sense to me than limit Omaha 8 and I'm pretty sure that Omaha 8 is the only form of limit poker that I am a losing player at in the levels I play.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:48 AM

Fold the flop, don't draw for half the pot.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:46 PM

I have some questions about this hand as it seems like one of those situations where the hero has a tough decision on each street.

Given his position, should hero have considered raising with this hand before the flop to knock out some of the potential weaker lows/hands behind him? It just doesn't seem like one of the strongest A2 hands available.

On the flop, should we consider that maybe the button is making a play for the pot? Is this always an auto-fold? Do his potential nut draws not call for at least peeling one off?

Hero makes his low on the turn and checks to bettor. Given that Hero now has almost no high potential, should he call with the knowledge that another pot-sized bet is probably waiting on the river? How much difference would a 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] make?

This just strikes me as one of those hands where the Hero gets just enough from the board to stay in the hand.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:14 PM

For the less experienced amongst us, I think Jason's post brings up some interesting points, any of the more proficient posters care to sketch out some sort of primer?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:06 PM

Pre-flop your [As,2s,8c,Ts] is a pretty weak holding:
(a) You have no back-up to the NLD,
(b) You have three to the spades in hand,
(c) [T,8] is a middle gap and most of ur str8s will not be nuts
(d) [A,T] only makes one str8

You are starting weak and will(should) be folding this on the flop anytime you don't have a strong High (or high draw) to support your holding. It's marginal call just to see the flop with NFD-NLD, in a passive game. In raised pot, fold pre-flop.

On the flop&gt;&gt;[4d,4h,7s], you are only drawing to 1/2 pot and nothing if the [A] or [2] drops. EASY FOLD, don't waste money chasing to save $0.25. Negative implied odds $1.20+ to win $0.60 of the $1.25 flop pot. You're H2H trying to get your money back. Fold and look for +EV situation. If you were going to play, you should lead at the pot PSB &amp; expect to take it down, unless your opponents are chasers. Check-fold is the correct action most of the time.

The button is probably stealing in position, but you gave up on the flop when you checked. It's his rights to make the position bet. Your call on the flop says, "I'm weak &amp; calling for low." It's bad PLO8b to tag along and give away 1/2 your stack to make $0.60 when you're 1/4'd.

Once you get to the river, you see how bad your call decision was. Now you have paid $0.50+ in rake, so you don't even break even if you have the only nut-low, with [A,T] for high. And now you face calling $13.45(30%)of your stack and you might only get back $9.71+. $40.35 - (1.50 rake) divided by 4 = $9.71.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:41 PM

I c/r all-in on the turn.

You dont know that others have A2 neccessarly. I think trying to rep a bigger hand than the button has could be very profitable, and you have the nut low to back you up if your wrong.