Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-26-2007, 10:35 PM

Default San Fransisco bans Plastic bags from Grocery stores

Subject says it all really.

Plastic bags cost grocery stores about .01-.02 cents, paper costs them .08 cents, the new bags that are replacing plastic bags cost .16 cents. So it's either the bad for the trees -paper, or the costly to the grocery store, and then the consumer, "biodegradable bags".

Insanity.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: San Fransisco bans Plastic bags from Grocery stores

[ QUOTE ]
Subject says it all really.

Plastic bags cost grocery stores about .01-.02 cents, paper costs them .08 cents, the new bags that are replacing plastic bags cost .16 cents. So it's either the bad for the trees -paper, or the costly to the grocery store, and then the consumer, "biodegradable bags".

Insanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple stores in the area offer high quality resuable cloth bags, and give a discount for using them. (.50/bag if I recall correctly?)
Old 11-26-2007, 10:53 PM

Local government doing things that the people living there probably mostly support, because if they didn't they certainly wouldn't choose to live in San Francisco. Who cares?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Local government doing things that the people living there probably mostly support, because if they didn't they certainly wouldn't choose to live in San Francisco. Who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have to agree with this. The "love it or leave it" thing doesn't hold any legitimate ground with the Federal government, but with local government it's pretty different. It's really not hard to move your ass to the municipality that's right for you in this county.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:03 PM

I don't think its nearly as easy to mov - be it villages, town, cities, states, or countries apart, moving is a big pain in the ass- as you gentlemen claim.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think its nearly as easy to mov - be it villages, town, cities, states, or countries apart, moving is a big pain in the ass- as you gentlemen claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's certainly a lot easier, and its not like these kinds of things change frequently. San Fran isn't going to go from what it is today to being super conservative and Bible-thumping in a year or even 10.

Most people choose to move at least once in their lives. When I bought a house, I specifically did not want to live in the city limits of Austin due to idiotic government decisions made there. Even if you work in San Fransisco, its not too hard to live in a surrounding area.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the complications of intra-national moving in this country are not government-created, they're just basic resource limitations (problems with the fact that you have to physically move a bunch of stuff). I changed states and so far the only legal mumbo-jumbo I've done is get a new driver's license.

Contrast this with moving to Canada.

The relative ease of moving suggests that residence is based more on choice than limited options, and gives a lot more credit to local governments.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if the majority favors a policy, the government should enact it and force it on everyone else? Isn't that in total contradiction to everything you've ever written on this site?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If people mostly supported it, people would do it anyways. Stores that provided these tree huggers with their hippie bags would have an edge over stores that didn't.

But it's a classic case of wanting something you aren't necessarily willing to pay for. Stores haven't made this decision on their own, because as much as people may mildly prefer hippie bags to dirty plastic bags, they don't prefer it enough to cover 15 cents a bag. So it's just people using government to force stores to give them what they aren't willing to pay for. As an ACist, you have no problem with that? You too hmk?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's really not. People make it out to be a big pain because they buy tons of crap that they don't need and need to move it, but it really isn't, and the difficulty that IS present comes entirely from decisions you've made. But even then, it just costs money to move and not a whole lot if you do it all yourself. Moving to another country, OTOH, is a serious pain, and nearly impossible if you actually want to be a citizen.