Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 02:42 PM

Default I could have avoided this problem by folding preflop

Full live 40. Villain is a regular, most of the weaktight regulars think he sucks, I think he's one of the best regulars. He will often try to sneak in cheaply preflop, but once the money starts to go in he's got something good or he's against a folder. Generally when he comes in for a raise preflop in EP he has a typical range of good hands. I've been seeing disgusting [censored] in my blinds all night, and I'm getting tired of folding them.

Folds to villain, he opens button. I see 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and decide to call in small blind. If it was 67/78/89 sooted I think this is a fine call, I think this is a little too lose. At any rate, I made the call. BB also calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I donk, BB folds, villain calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet he calls. This is good news, as he could easily wait for the turn to pop an overpair, but I've never seen him do it on the river.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

So this isn't a good card. I bet anyway. My thought at the time was that we both know exactly what hands he should have here, which means I'm either bluffing or can beat his AK, so I think he is likely to still call with AQ/AJ/whatever he was planning to call down with before. I am near certain he doesn't have a flush draw here and would expect him to raise either the flop or turn. I am fairly sure my only possible lines here are bet/fold or check/make a decision.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: I could have avoided this problem by folding preflop

Hell, every problem can be avoided by folding preflop. If I was in the mood you say you were in, I would have 3-bet preflop and then kept betting until he showed me the error of my ways. I think he's more likely to fold the turn this way, and with my top pair being vulnerably low, I'd like that.

If he's more likely to bluff-bet this king than call with unimproved high cards, I'd prefer a check-call on the river.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:30 PM

Preflop I think is too loose as you said.

On the flop, why lead? I think a checkraise is a much better play here.

River, if he is the type to call you down with AQ/AJ, and you know what to do when he raises, then you bet. If he is unlikely to look you up with ace high then I think check/call is better. Do not check/fold.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:39 PM

Preflop is fine against the opponent you described. However, for metagame reasons or whatever, if you choose to cold call preflop you should most definitely check raise the flop, or 3 bet preflop lead the flop. I play much more aggressively in the button vs blind situations than most others though.

I would hate not to see a showdown this hand, and putting in two bets on the river would not be good. I would check call the river. T8, 86, heart draws all missed, so he might give you a desperation bet at the end. He may also raise the river with these hands also. You lose value against ace high hands I guess, but I think getting to showdown here for as cheap as possible is very important.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:32 PM

I think the flop donk is great in a 3 way pot. I think you need to quickly bet and call a raise on this river.

-DeathDonkey
Old 03-04-2007, 04:42 PM

Fianchetto was spot on. More times than not I'm b/f-ing
Old 03-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

The K is a perfect bluff card. I like betting and calling, especially if you hesitate a little/look scared.

I usually checkraise the flop too. DD, why do you like donking?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:24 PM

Puts a lot of pressure on the BB, good for metagame where you can start donking weak weak hands on the flop and winning, just in case the button checks through on this "blind happy" flop (meaning the blinds are likely to hit this flop).

-DeathDonkey
Old 03-04-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Puts a lot of pressure on the BB, good for metagame where you can start donking weak weak hands on the flop and winning, just in case the button checks through on this "blind happy" flop (meaning the blinds are likely to hit this flop).

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't having the BB calling two cold put more pressure on him on the flop? And against good tough players who have position on you, what looks more scary to them, a flop donk with a 3rd player in the middle or a flop checkraise? I also think that it is important to show a player like this that just because you check out of position after cold calling his raise preflop doesn't mean you are going to check fold everytime.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the flop donk is great in a 3 way pot. I think you need to quickly bet and call a raise on this river.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure he's brave enough for a river bluffraise, but after waking up I can't really disagree with a bet/call here simply because we both know this could very well be him on the river and he knows I'm capable of bet/folding decent hands on the end.