Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Little preflop + flop thing against me

Great 30/60 Bellagio game. I'm sitting to the left of four limper types, Gonores is sitting to my left, and to his left are three reasonably tight players.

A horrible limper limps, folded to me I raise in the hijack. My range is very very wide here because I like isolating and I'm winning and the blinds will fold a decent amount of the time.

Gonores is next to act with AJo. He cold called. We ended up 4 ways when the big blind came along. The flop came 882r, and Gonores raised my flop bet.

After the hand I told him I thought it was a mistake to not 3 bet me there with AJ, but then I changed my mind and decided it's great to cold call there and raise most flops. What do you guys think?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Little preflop + flop thing against me

It's great until you figure out what he's doing and mix in an apporopriate combination of loose calldowns and re-bluffs.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:21 PM

I like this because he's doing it so you can't pin down his hand as much. Look in the recent CDC thread about cold-calling Joe Tall's wide-range open-raise with AJ. Against smart TAGs, you should be mixing it up and using more deception than you would against the numbskulls.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's great until you figure out what he's doing and mix in an apporopriate combination of loose calldowns and re-bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

They might run into this situation again around July.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They might run into this situation again around July.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Of course it's going to be a while before I smooth-call on the left of Justin with a big ace and raise him on an ultra-dry flop in a multiway pot, but I've been getting tricky lately against times when his opening range is excessively loose, and it's been working real well for me, precisely because he's been relatively straightforward and tight with me after the flop.

Plus, most nights, I'm Justin's ride to the card room, and we often compare notes on players and end up drawing the same conclusions on which games are best on any given night, so we're often playing 1000+ hands a week together.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great 30/60 Bellagio game. I'm sitting to the left of four limper types, Gonores is sitting to my left, and to his left are three reasonably tight players.

A horrible limper limps, folded to me I raise in the hijack. My range is very very wide here because I like isolating and I'm winning and the blinds will fold a decent amount of the time.

Gonores is next to act with AJo. He cold called. We ended up 4 ways when the big blind came along. The flop came 882r, and Gonores raised my flop bet.

After the hand I told him I thought it was a mistake to not 3 bet me there with AJ, but then I changed my mind and decided it's great to cold call there and raise most flops. What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how a lot of LAGTAGs online and commerce 100/200 regulars play big aces in position and from the blinds (they just call preflop and checkraise any flop). It can be difficult to deal with but when you play against them and remember a lot of their range is made up of big aces and not pairs when it seems obvious they should have a pocket pair, you can 3 bet them on the flop very liberally sometimes as a bluff and sometimes for value with weak hands (like AQ high). I think its a good thing for Doug to do occasionally to cross you up but in general its pretty exploitable once you catch on. I think 3 betting you preflop is the standard and best play.

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-08-2006, 10:02 PM

Well, then I guess it's time to start coldcalling with AA/KK too.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:14 AM

I don't get it. If Justin is tight and straightforward postflop when you just call his raise, why would that change if you instead 3-bet him? Plus by not 3-betting, you are losing value from the blinds/limper calling two more oop with suited junk.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. If Justin is tight and straightforward postflop when you just call his raise, why would that change if you instead 3-bet him?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easier to represent hands on many boards when your hand-range is wider.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:49 AM

same with me and chris we play a lot of tables together. he crushes me so im trying to learn how to beat him. i think i fared better against justin although he started to own me towards the end.