Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-27-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Help - Trading application question - \"recent development in industry\"

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of filling out job applications with the hope of Trading (mainly Currencies and Commodities) for one of the BBs in London.

One question has me stumped:
"Describe a recent development in the industry. What implications might this development have for our firm or the division to which you have applied?"

I'm trying to think of something that isn't what everyone else will be saying (read: something to do with sub-prime/credit squeeze).

Does anybody have any good ideas?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions! Sorry if this is more suited elsewhere!

Nick
Old 11-27-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Help - Trading application question - \"recent development in industry\"

Well [censored], take your pick. These are two of the craziest damn areas right now (currencies and commodities).

What might happen if China did decide to significantly rebalance their reserves away from the dollar?

What if Australia continues to be unable to produce a reliable supply of wheat?

What happens as developing nations begin to spur demand for more natural resources as their living conditions rise?

How is ECB supposed to fight inflation and the credit crunch at the same time?

You're about to enter the market during a very cool period.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Help - Trading application question - \"recent development in industry\"

how about discussing the implications of the change from pit dominated trading to electronic dominated trading in commodities futures markets?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Help - Trading application question - \"recent development in indus

commodities: how has the huge increase in corn demand for ethanol affected commodities
Old 11-27-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how about discussing the implications of the change from pit dominated trading to electronic dominated trading in commodities futures markets?

[/ QUOTE ]

does anyone looking for an entry level job who doesn't trade commodities on his own actually have enough knowledge to discuss this? if you just randomly study this you'll look like a bullshitter on an interview.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does anyone looking for an entry level job who doesn't trade commodities on his own actually have enough knowledge to discuss this? if you just randomly study this you'll look like a bullshitter on an interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it's not an easy question but the bank should have reasonable expectations about the depth of his answer. i was trying to formulate a question that was response to his assignment. I think market questions are hard, too, but may not be responsive to the "describe a recent development in the industry". My interpretation of "...in the industry" means not "...in the market."

It is bad to look like you just spew b.s. - no matter what the question. They gave a very hard assignment.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:17 AM

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions so far!

At the moment I'm leaning towards China/Yuan, or possibly something about a general move in trading from pit to computer and more automated trades, etc.

It only needs to be 750 words, so shouldn't be too difficult!