Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Trip Report - DUI

It is kind of stupid for you to be pissed after a cop asks you to do a sobriety test after you told him youve been drinkin.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone have and suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit drinking and grow up.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is kind of stupid for you to be pissed after a cop asks you to do a sobriety test after you told him youve been drinkin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't at all pissed about taking a sobriety test... I was pissed that after passing the first couple dexterity tests... AND blowing a couple times (and hearing the click-so I know it was working)... they still made me blow again in hopes of busting me.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't at all pissed about taking a sobriety test... I was pissed that after passing the first couple dexterity tests... AND blowing a couple times (and hearing the click-so I know it was working)... they still made me blow again in hopes of busting me.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was directed at josey wales
Old 03-07-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no sympathy here sorry.

to be honest, since you went to your office, you may very well be fired if they catch wind.

not only did you break a very important law, but you put your company on the line for massive liability.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to be the biggest Douchebag response in this whole thread. What an idiot.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get a lawyer and beat this BS. Did you get a blood alcohol test? You should have. Anyway, the fact that the "cop" (lol women police officers) made you blow into the breathalyzer 5 times is going to help you out, I think. This means you blew 4 0.08s and 1 0.09.

And to all those people saying "OP is an idiot and got what he deserved": He passed the sobriety tests, so he wasn't impaired. Having a blood alcohol level of around 0.1 doesn't increase your chances of getting into an accident any more than fiddling with the radio.

You are an idiot for driving 90, though. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the funny thing... I know that the blood tests are way more accurate, so I was contemplating requesting that.

But the CHP officer said that since I had "good lungs and was fairly athletic, the breathe test would work in my favor"... I don't know if this is true or if she was trying to trap.

Also, when they arrested me and put me in handcuffs... I never got read my miranda rights... does this matter? or only in felony cases?

[/ QUOTE ]

You only get read your Miranda Rights when you're in custody and they begin to question you on the commission of a crime. If you're not in "custody" they can ask some probing questions and so forth. But the key being you have to be in custody while they question you in order for you to be read your Miranda.

-and tuq, Guids,Alobar are basically right in this thread. You douche bags need to get off your high [censored] horses when it comes to [censored] like DUI. It's not the worst thing in the world, despite how hard you guys try to make it seem like it is. The whole .008 thing is [censored], and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:30 AM

-and tuq, Guids,Alobar are basically right in this thread. You douche bags need to get off your high [censored] horses when it comes to [censored] like DUI. It's not the worst thing in the world, despite how hard you guys try to make it seem like it is. The whole .008 thing is [censored], and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.

I agree. Having been through it, I beat myself up a lot over it at first. Fortunately I had some friends who helped me see that I wasn't a terrible person and just made a mistake (one that many, many people say they've done many times themselves, and admitted they were stupid for doing it). That's what helped me get through it and learn and move on with my life - I saw myself as a good person who screwed up. I learned a lesson, and got by with it only costing me about $1000 and a new car (btw, it never did hit my insurance, as of yet), when I could have hit and killed someone.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:50 AM

Seriously, GET A LAWYER!!!!!! GET A LAWYER!!!! the sooner, the better. You're looking at $2k in tickets. Get a lawyer on this NOW!
Old 03-08-2007, 03:55 AM

There is some terrible information in this thread. What I include in this will be information from Georgia, which is pretty tough on DUIs.

The first mistake you made, which I'm sure you realize now, is telling the officer that you had something to drink. This is very bad no matter what the situation is. You can tell them that you haven't had anything regardless of whether or not it is the truth. Don't refuse to answer, just tell them you haven't been drinking. Lying before an arrest is not at all illegal outside of providing false identification to the cop. They can't hold this against you in court, but a submission puts them really close to or gives them probable cause for an arrest.

The field sobriety tests are optional, but should be taken if you are truly sober and will pass. In Georgia the tests are ten steps on a line (heel to toe on each step with a turn after the tenth step and then ten more steps), standing on one leg and looking at the opposite foot while counting (one one thousand two one thousand style) until the officer tells you to stop, and the eve test where they check for random movement (eye twitching is uncontrollable, but only happens above a .10 BAC as per many studies done before the test was instituted). These will likely not get you off the hook in borderline cases, but can help and could just end the situation right there if you actually are sober. They will intimidate you, mislead you, tell you that it will be easier on you if you confess during this entire process. This is just part of their tactics and is legal (they can lie to you, its [censored] up but for some reason it is allowed). Do NOT let them trap you and admit to anything, stay strong and never waiver with what you have said. When they ask where you are going to and from give then an answer like dinner to home, nothing that could even lead them to thinking anything else. With the field tests do not take them if you feel pressure easily (even if sober). They are tough and the officers will be talking to you in a demeaning tone as you go through the whole process while still trying to coerce information or a submission out of you. Say as little as possible. The more you talk the more chance you slip up or they get something small that is important. They are persistent and these arrests take a decent amount of time anyways so keeping quiet makes it easier on you given that you are not likely to convince them to just let you go once you are more than 10 minutes into this.

The field breathalyzer is something that you should NEVER take under any circumstances. Although the results are inadmissable in court, blowing above the legal limit gives the officers probable cause for the arrest, but blowing below the limit will not necessarily get then off of your back.

If they arrest you then you will be taken to the police station and questioned a little further and officially breathalyzed. At no point are they required to read you your Miranda Rights, just know that after you are in custody (handcuffs) they can use what you say in court. You get two attempts and the LOWER of the two attempts is the one that is used as the official result. The mandatory breathalyzer at the police station should be taken in some circumstances and not in others. In close cases, especially if you know you have passed the field test, then do NOT take the test as this is the only solid evidence that the police will have against you. If you are clearly legal (had two drinks or something) just blow and be done. If you are completely wasted (know you will fail) then NEVER take this test either. A DUI comes with a suspended liscense anyways. Also, there is a separate hearing for a liscense suspension (automatic, 1 year in Georgia) for cases where you refused to blow. The catch here is that this comes before the DUI trial. Some, typically the cops that are there just to catch people DUI, will not show up to these hearings because they are simple liscense hearings and in a traffic court rather than normal court. If the officer fails to show up to these (a good lawyer can get these moved around and postponed so the officer will have to come multiple times) then you are off the hook for the ENTIRE DUI. Although, you will automatically lose your liscense you give them less evidence and pick up an out per se if you believe you will fail the breathalyzer.

After this you will either be taken to jail if they are going to charge you or let go. From here the only thing to do is get the best lawyer you can and have them fight it. Getting it postponed, transferrred to different courts (county if it was a city police officer), and getting a favorable judge are things that your attorney will have at least some influence over.

In your case there seem to be many holes. First off, they breathalyzed you five times??? This must have been the portable breathalyzer, which you shouldn't have taken. They can't legally do this, but its your word against theirs in most cases (a lawyer should be able to get you the police tape from the car, but this only matters if you can see or hear whats happening). They did this for probable cause for the arrest. At the station I assume you only blew twice. Is this correct? If you actually blew five times at the station then this should be enough to get the case thrown out on its own as the officer did not properly conduct the test. Passing the field tests is good in that they don't have it against you, but it won't clear you by itself. It can only show that you were still capable of driving or at least functioning fine. Hire the best lawyer you can find (preferably one with local experience having worked with the prosecutor, judge, and officer before). If they realize the case has holes then experience with the officer helps. The officer is the one that makes the decision on dropping the charge in favor of reckless or something else so a working relationship between your lawyer and the officer is important. If he's local then he should have experience with all the prosecutors and judges so that isn't a problem. This is going to get expensive ($2-3k base with some more premiums totaling up to a few thousand more). Get in contact with lawyers soon and ask for a copy of the police report also. The god lawyers will get you through it from there.

To me it looks like you have a decent case to at least cut a deal for reckless, but there isn't enough information to tell in your posts.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your name makes this post very ironic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. If you get caught riding a bicycle drunk, it's identical to getting a DUI in a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what state you live in. Some states have declared if bikes count, and other states it's a gray area.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, i live in ca and have heard stories from many friends who have gotten harassed biking a few blocks home from bars... however, the cops have discretion and will just tell them to walk there bikes the rest of the way home when they are obviously intoxicated.

To op, tuff break man, the libertarian in me hates that people have to be afraid to drive home after a few drinks and are not trashed/drunk. I'm all for harsh penalties for people who drive drunk, but this bs where people get a dui for blowing a .08 and passing a sobriety test, doesn't seem very just to me.

When i go out and really drink i always get a taxi or a ride, but often i go to sports bars to watch some games, have dinner, and few beers, and don't feel the least bit buzzed, but still worry that i'll get pulled over by some dick cop and blow a .08 and get f'd. I actually have been pulled over after a few beers once and thankfully i nailed the sobriety test, as good as i would of 100% sober.

For those of you not 21 don't mess with drinking and driving at all. I knew a guy who was 19, went to a party, drank to much, got sick and threw up, passed out between 1-2am. He drove home the next day around 11am and got pulled over, the cop smelled the alcohol/puke on him and made him blow, he blew a .01 or something and got a dui.