Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: I could have avoided this problem by folding preflop

[ QUOTE ]
Full live 40. Villain is a regular, most of the weaktight regulars think he sucks, I think he's one of the best regulars. He will often try to sneak in cheaply preflop, but once the money starts to go in he's got something good or he's against a folder. Generally when he comes in for a raise preflop in EP he has a typical range of good hands. I've been seeing disgusting [censored] in my blinds all night, and I'm getting tired of folding them.

Folds to villain, he opens button. I see 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and decide to call in small blind. If it was 67/78/89 sooted I think this is a fine call, I think this is a little too lose. At any rate, I made the call. BB also calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I donk, BB folds, villain calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet he calls. This is good news, as he could easily wait for the turn to pop an overpair, but I've never seen him do it on the river.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

So this isn't a good card. I bet anyway. My thought at the time was that we both know exactly what hands he should have here, which means I'm either bluffing or can beat his AK, so I think he is likely to still call with AQ/AJ/whatever he was planning to call down with before. I am near certain he doesn't have a flush draw here and would expect him to raise either the flop or turn. I am fairly sure my only possible lines here are bet/fold or check/make a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like betting the river. If you think you might have the best hand and are willing to put in a bet, I think you have a better chance inducing a bluff than getting a call from a worse hand. Check and call the river.

But, of course, you know this guy better. Most of those I play with are more inclined to bet with nothing than call with nothing.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: I could have avoided this problem by folding preflop

I also agree with you that preflop is on the too loose side. I really prefer a check-raise on the flop compared to your donk. If the BB had a hand like a gutshot or middle/botttom pair here then you are giving him correct odds rather than shutting him out with a check-raise. I'm with you on the river bet. Your opponent should know you are very unlikely to have hit that King. He also knows that hearts and str8 draws missed. I say that nothing has changed also and hes still looking you up with hands like AJ/AQ. If he raises on the King you're on your own.