Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 03:19 PM

Default GIVE ME THE BEST MOVIE SCENES EVER - making a DVD of them

Cliff Notes: (Even though what’s below is worth reading for a better overall description) I know the subject title reads “give me the best movie scenes ever”, but it’s a little more than that. Give me some of the best, but short and sweet, movie scenes you’ve ever seen that pertain mainly to courage and having the heart to do what you want in life. Ones that truly move you in this sense. I then plan on making a DVD with software that will include the ones I like being shown directly one after another. Essentially this DVD will say “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage”.

Being a movie lover all my life and having seen more than my share of them, I’ve wanted to make an interesting DVD for some time now that consists of certain “ballsy” scenes from different movies. Essentially what I’m trying to make is a DVD comprised of movie clips that symbolize courage and a “do or take what you want in life and don’t be afraid of others opinions or the consequences” attitude. Thus while a movie like Die Hard might have some awesome action scenes of stuff getting blown up, they wont necessarily fit the criteria for this DVD that I’m trying to make. Conversely, a movie scene like at the end of Dead Poets Society, where Ethan Hawk, a socially inept and scared to live life kid, stands up on the table, is a quintessential example of the clips I’m looking for . The clips that I plan on including are likely to be very short, as I just want to show the one certain ballsy clip and then have it directly go onto the next movie clip chosen. They should be up to 2 minutes max I suppose. Thus the scenes should be short and sweet if you get my drift. There’s software on the market that wont make something like this hard to create at all.

My reasoning for making this is to be able to watch it and desensitize/ motivate myself in a sense. To have the heart and courage to live life unafraid, something that these certain scenes will likely symbolize to me. Every one of us has watched a movie before and said to ourselves during a certain scene “that’s heart”, “I wish I had it in myself to do something like that”, “that’s really living life and grabbing the bull by the horns”, etc. Well this will be the essence of this DVD. I have complied a list below of some of the short clips that I plan on including, but I’m sure I have missed some great ones. Shoot away and help me with any great movie scenes along these lines that I’m missing. Everyone will be moved by different similar scenes in movies so please share your own, and even why they move you and what they represent to you. If anyone wants me to expand on why I want to include a specific scene below let me know.

I have used movie lines (in quotations) and brief descriptions to classify the certain scenes of each movie. Hopefully my brief descriptions are accurate enough that if you have seen the movie you’ll remember them.

1.)Bram Stokers Dracula- The opening scene where Dracula screams at the priest “ I renounce God. I will rise up from my own death to avenge hers….” - this is after his bride leaps and commits suicide.

2.)Men of Honor- The ballroom scene with Robert De Niro on New Years where he walks right up to his ex-commander, who is slandering him, and proceeds to give him an ass whooping in front of everyone.

3.) Legends of the Fall- Scene where Brad Pitt clubs the bartender because he wont serve his Indian friend a drink.

4.)Goodwill Hunting- When Matt Damon sees that bully from elementary school, instantly stops the car, and gives him a beat down right there for being an a-hole.

5.)13th Warrior- When Antonio Bandares is scared shitless right before the first battle and says to the Northman next to him “I am not a warrior” and he remarks “Soon you will be”. He is then thrust into the situation/battle and forced to have courage.

6.)Gangs of New York- This has many great clips that I’ll include including: The father telling the boy at the beginning “The blood stays on the blade” and “Don’t never look away”. Also, the butcher making a challenge with the pigs head, butcher telling off the mayor while he cooks his steak, and when he speaks to Dicaprio about killing his father and how that was the “finest beating I ever took”. That movie is totally hard ass in a lot of ways.

7.)Heat- Another one that will include several awesome clips. Robert De niro telling off Waynegro at the diner, “there’s a dead man on the other end of this f---in line“, the great scene where Dinero is driving through the tunnel near the end and decides to risk all, take the exit, and go after Wayengro, when Dinero kills Wayengro in the hotel room and says repeatedly “Look at me, Look at me” before shooting him.

8.)Fight Club- “I don’t want to die without any scars”, When Brad Pitt gives Norton/himself a chemical burn and tells him not to be afraid, to know, not fear that he is going to someday die. The clip when he finds out Pitt and himself are one, asks Pitt why, and he responds “ I am free in all the ways that you are not”.

9.)American History X- While these clips are semi-racist I include them because they magnificently illustrate several things I’m looking for: Opening scene where he kills the dudes trying to jack his truck. Telling off his moms Jewish bf at dinner. The scene at the basketball court where he bets on the rights for the courts.

10.)Taxi Driver- FWIW I think this is the greatest and most original movie ever. I love the idea of a man struggling with his life, not knowing what to do, and trying to work up the courage-in a bizarre and extreme sense- to do something good, even though he’s not sure what. This movie is a must. Scenes will include “I have some bad ideas in my head”, “Ever seen what a 44 magnum will do…” De Niros brazen assassination attempt on the senator.

11.)Four Brothers- When Wahlberg walks right onto the b-ball court mid-game and wont leave until someone speaks up about the witness to his mothers killer.

12.) Dead Poets Society- Perhaps the best movie scene/ending ever, when Ethan Hawke, a socially inept and scared to live life kid, stands up on the table and says “O’Captin my Captin”, followed by the rest of the young men. This is one scene that almost makes me tear up.

13.) American Flyers- A cycling movie with Kevin Costner about brothers and the bond between them, I wanted to include the clip when Costner says “Do it Davey”- his brother- as he wants him to initiate the breakaway and take the lead in the event.

14.) The Village- Even thought this movie kinda sucked it has two great scenes that fit this. One, when the boys play the waiting game by the woods (realize they were raised to, and believe that ferocious monsters dwell in them) seeing who has the gumption to wait the longest. And two, when William Hurt-the village leader- tells Joaquin Phoenix in church, after he forbiddenly entered the woods, “You are fearless in a way that I will never know”. He says this obviously impressed with the boys bold display of courage, and because he will never have a tale like that to fear- as he knows the truth, that there are no monsters in them.

15.)Rocky IV- When Rocky’s behind to the Russian in the last round his black trainer gives him a terrific speech- “I can’t do it for you. All your love, all your hate, everything you got must go into this last round. This is your whole life here”. Really a motivator.

16.)Alexander- When Angelina Jolie is playing with the snakes and telling her son, Alexander, to take it and “Never hesitate”. To me it symbolizes to never hesitate for what I truly want in life.

17.)Empire- When “Victor” is telling his best friend “Jimmy” that when they were kids and he robbed that store, right then and there he knew he could do absolutely anything, as he wasn’t afraid.

18.)Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade- When Jones (Harrison Ford) has to have the courage to make the “leap of faith” into the abyss in order to save his wounded father (Connery). The scene and how he immensely struggles with himself to make the leap is great.

19.)Predator- When the one dude wont run anymore from the creature, stops on the log to wait to face it while the others scurry on, and cuts himself on the chest with that giant knife.

20.)The Godfather- When the young Al Pacino, who wants nothing to do with the family business originally, states “If you can get a gun in there, I’ll kill’em both”. Then I’ll also include the clip in the restaurant when he actually does.

21.)V for Vendetta- When Natalie Portman explains that she rather be executed behind the chemical shed than give in and V says “Now that you have faced death you are free to live”. This was the best part of this movie.

22.)King of New York- The subway scene when three dudes with knives demand Christopher Walkens wallet and he says “what about this” and displays a handgun, then gives them a roll of 100’s because he thought they had balls. Also, the end subway clip where he shouts “I don’t need forever” and is shot.

23.)The Departed- Mark Wahlberg looking Matt Damon in the eye at the end and putting a bullet in his head, totally hardass in taking justice into his own hands.

Some final thoughts:
Like I said, I’m sure I’m missing some great ones. Hopefully you guys can help me come up with some more. Also, even though I’ve had making this DVD in mind for some time now, I came upon something really interesting in a book just yesterday that I thought I’d share. This is quoted from the book “The Dark Side of Man” by Michael P. Ghiglieri.

U.S. army psychologist Dave Grossman describes a report on the U.S. governments most sophisticated techniques for conditioning assassins to overcome their reluctance to kill, designed by a naval commander and psychiatrist names Dr. Narut. The conditioning consisted of strapping trainees into a “must watch” TV rig. Then, as in the book/movie A clockwork Orange, these trainees viewed ever more violent and gruesome killings. Unlike A Clockwork Orange, however, no revulsion-causing drugs were administered. On the contrary, the goal was to desensitize assassins to violence and to condition them to accept violent killing as a matter-of-fact.

Supposedly this method of desensitization works great. While I have no aspirations of being as assassin by any means, my original idea of making a DVD to desensitize my own cowardice, and to REALLY and truly live life without fear and express who I am, isn’t a bad idea, as this excerpt above indicates it must work to a degree. Sorry this became somewhat lengthy, I just really think it’s a cool idea. Any suggestions, questions, or great movie clips anyone has to mention are more than welcomed.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-05-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: GIVE ME THE BEST MOVIE SCENES EVER - making a DVD of them

24) Asterisk Part II
The scene where the hero, Orlando Paige, is alone in the dark room spinning around looking for advice. Little does he know that his pleas are much too long for the short attention spans of those that he intends them for so they fall on deaf ears and eventually get drowned out by shorter, more non-sensical pleas.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Lord of the Rings- The Return of the King

The scene where Pippen is singing for Denethor and there is that battle in the fields where Faramir leads the charge. I love that scene.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:36 PM

Vision Quest- Elmo's Pele speech "It aint about the six minutes, it's what happens in those six minutes..."
Old 03-05-2007, 03:41 PM

You had me until
[ QUOTE ]

11.)Four Brothers- When Wahlberg walks right onto the b-ball court mid-game and wont leave until someone speaks up about the witness to his mothers killer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess it fits with your "theme" but might stand out against background of "Heat" and Taxi Driver, etc.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:52 PM

Saving Private Ryan -
1 - the opening battle scene is incredible - set a new standard in film IMHO
2 - When the general reads Lincoln's letter regarding the loss of a woman's sons
3 - Tom Hanks telling Matt Damon to earn this
4 - Old Matt Damon crying at the Tom Hanks grave "tell me I'm a good man, tell me I've led a good life"

Yes, Private Ryan is my favorite movie.

Also, there's got to be a few scenes from "It's a Wonderful Life"
Old 03-05-2007, 03:58 PM

Akira Kurosawa's RAN

the scene where the king abandons his burning castle - it's something to behold -

actually, the whole movie is phenom - must remember to buy

rb
Old 03-05-2007, 03:59 PM

Pulp Fiction

The scene where he eats the guys burger, drinks his drink, says the ezekial 25:17 or whatever, and then blows him away.

Boiler Room

Any of Affleck's speeches is primo stuff.

Wall Street

The famous Gecko. find one of the many good ones.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:59 PM

The Goonies "Holy Mary Mother of God"
Old 03-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Given that you included a scene from "Alexander", I'm not sure I can work with you on this. But good luck with the project!