Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 02:29 AM

Default An exposed hand problem

Solid guy raises up front, but he is capable of raising and folding for two more.

Hijack 3-bets, but you can see his cards and they are AKo

You are the cutoff with 10's and you?
Old 11-12-2006, 02:47 AM

Default Re: An exposed hand problem

[ QUOTE ]
Solid guy raises up front, but he is capable of raising and folding for two more.

[/ QUOTE ]

While it's nice to know that he's capable of this, what hands is he raising from up front that he is going to fold for 2 more?

If the action was solid opens in HJ, AK 3 bets in CO and you have TT on button I'd say it's an easy cap because solid's range will likely include lots of hands that will fold for 2 more, but if he raises in earlier position then I'm guessing his range will lean more toward pairs that definitely aren't folding for 2 more and the top end of the big cards spectrum.

I was going to say cap anyway, but in this theoretical situation I guess calling 3 cold and raising the flop if it doesn't bring an A or K is viable. I guess it sort of depends on solid's opening range/his straightforwardness after the flop/the hands he'll fold for 2 more.

The more I think about it the more I'm confused. I may reply again and change my mind completely. The thought of calling 3 cold feels weird, but depending on solid's range of folding hands (which I think would be small) it might be the right play. Then again, it might be the wrong play for exactly the same reason.

I suck at made up situations, but I think this is an interesting one.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:59 AM

Haha this wasn't made up, it happened tonight.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that the only hands I will raise with up front and then fold for two back to me would probably be something like KQs,AJs,AQs. Some soild players might even call with the AQs though. Basically, I don't think that its nearly as often as you might think that hes folding for two back to him when he raises in EP. However, if for some reason you think he may very well do so, you have a easy cap. Either way I cant see it really mattering one way or another.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:04 AM

Given that the guy up front this seems to be an easy fold here. Even if sold guy will fold AQ his range can't be much worse here and at best you are a coinflip. Without the guy up front it is an easy call obviously. You need to worry about guy up front having a big pair. The only time 3 betting seems correct is if guy up fron has AQ, AK or 99. Safe fold
Old 11-13-2006, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hijack 3-bets, but you can see his cards and they are AKo

You are the cutoff with 10's and you?

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you do if the early guy raised and everyone else folded? Do you fold TT to this guy's raise?
I'm shoving in 4 bets.

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 31.4383 % 27.99% 03.45% { 99+, AJs+, KQs, AQo+ }
Hand 2: 29.8538 % 26.85% 03.00% { AKo }
Hand 3: 38.7079 % 38.14% 00.56% { TT }

I'd go ahead and flop KKT just to be safe.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:54 AM

I think given that the UTG raiser can fold for 2 more, you have more information about his hand when he does call and therefore can make appropriate post-flop adjustments to make this a cap. Just be sure to find out on the flop where you are at and be willing to fold on the turn for a bet if you can see you're behind.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:15 AM

If the AK holder can be counted on to bet the flop no matter what hits, then capping is probably your best route. If you can use him as a patsy to protect your hand you put a lot more pressure on the guy up front.

If you don't loose the player up front after a post flop bet from AK and raise from you then you'll know that he has at least jacks. Even in that worst case scenario he's not likely to lead with a turn bet and you may get to see two free even though you figure to be behind EP in the scenario presented.

With this hand you could play almost any pocket pair the same way as either you're going to lose EP early and not flop an A or K or you're going to lose (flopped set notwithstanding).
Old 11-13-2006, 03:18 AM

4-bet (cap?). It doesn't seem that close considering your equity is good and the blinds are still live. Hijack having AK I believe increases your equity relative to EP's range. Also while there is some merit to the idea of just calling 3 to either keep EP in while drawing thin to dead (as far as you're concerned) there is also value in getting HU and knowing 100% where you stand from there on.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:33 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

jack it up