Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 08:31 PM

Default Re: 56s

Yeah obv. you're folding this 4-5handed. But calling in this spot 3way is not the clear cut worst option like say a T63 flop 5handed with 77.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ILP,

you're only going to get it HU on the turn when your hand isnt vulnerable

edit: clarify

[/ QUOTE ]

By peeling the flop we are treating our holding as a pure drawing hand. If we think we are draing 100% of the time here, then I would fold. The BTN may be a bad enough player to peel with flop with A7 for one small bet and I dont want that to happen those times I do have the best hand.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ILP,

you're only going to get it HU on the turn when your hand isnt vulnerable

edit: clarify

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is the crux of the matter. The only time a raise is to your benefit is when you are ahead of SB and Button folds a hand that is already ahead of you or could profitably call a single bet but not two.

Weighing this situation against the likelihood you are behind or that button doesn't have much of a hand anyway makes me shy away from raising. To borrow a guideline from big bet poker: play big pots with big hands and small pots with small hands.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah obv. you're folding this 4-5handed. But calling in this spot 3way is not the clear cut worst option like say a T63 flop 5handed with 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what youre saying. What would you do in this spot if the pfr is known to iso from the SB with weak hands in this spot? Is it worth continuing to you or would you just fold the flop. Against a legit raise I assume you would fold the flop right? If the flop came out Jd 7h 5s, would you raise in that scenario against a lag raise?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what youre saying. What would you do in this spot if the pfr is known to iso from the SB with weak hands in this spot? Is it worth continuing to you or would you just fold the flop. Against a legit raise I assume you would fold the flop right? If the flop came out Jd 7h 5s, would you raise in that scenario against a lag raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on the limper too. If he's even moderately tight, the JT cards are pretty bad for us since they give him a pair or straight draw so often. If he just sucks and limps every hand I'm ok with a raise.
On the J75 flop I think I would call just because it has to be somewhat hard even for a fish to call with some random crap like K4 and if he does it has to be hard for SB to lead the turn into two players with Ace high so I think we can learn a lot about our hand with just a call. Or maybe call is just what I do when i can't decide [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2006, 09:45 PM

Its a raised pot, so Im not peeling this hand so quickly. Raising is not a bad option depending very much on the opponents. We need improvement, so a free card would be nice, and folding overcards would also bet great, but how likely is that to happen? I think that depends a lot on the opponents.

With no reads, I think I just call here, and without any help on the turn Im not paying any more money into this pot. But considering that fifteen cards (2 fives, 3 sixes, and ten hearts)improve us on the turn I think folding here would be bad.

Also, not mentioned is that often passive players with drawing hands will check into us on the turn fearing a turn raise, epecially weak drawing hands like 89.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We need improvement, so a free card would be nice

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with this thinking is that if we get a free card chances are we are ahead.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:01 PM

for the record, the open limper was a loose player, and the SB raiser has raised the same loose limper with 44 when he had the button
Old 07-04-2006, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We need improvement, so a free card would be nice

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with this thinking is that if we get a free card chances are we are ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but not always. Some hands might fear a better hand (AT, KT, A5, 99-66 for example) and some stronger hands might check, planning to check/raise (AA-TT,AJ,KJ).
Old 07-04-2006, 10:50 PM

I raise this.

But lots of people disagree.