Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Tips for a beginning car salesman

Congrats on the new job. I have 15 years as a rep, closer,trainer in the car biz.

I think the best thing for you to do first is find a helpful manager or top salesman or 2 to watch and learn from. Many dealers don't train, its sink or swim. They take your pulse, hire you and hope you are 1 of the 15% that make it. If they are not going to spend much effort training you (most common) buddy up with a friendly top rep and ask for tips and maybe buy him a nice lunch or 3. You buy and fly.

Ask him for his best walkaround on the top selling nissan. Try to learn the top 2 best sellers first. stats, features, benefits, awards.

Listen to how pro reps talk to "phone pops" (sales calls). They sell the appt and get rapport with the customer quickly if they are good. Find common ground (kids? soccer? hiking? what you using that truck for?)

Are you in Vegas? Business is slow here (WA) but nissan, honda, toyota are doing well. Vegas should be a great town to sell in.

Be "real" with yer customers. Look them both right in the eye and talk to the woman at least as much as the man. I always ask ladies to drive first then switch. They really appreciate it and many are watching to see if you direct your pitch to the man and ignore them. Hubbys appreciate it that you include wifey too.

You will make the most cheese on used cars so learn your used inventory and work on switching from new to used for better commission (and often better deal for customer).

Don't be afraid to tell all you are new. They would rather have the nice new guy then the "charkk"

I "don't know much, but i'll find out everything you need before you leave" Take notes, shake kids hands and write down names and ages. On test drives don't talk much. Take long test drives.

Don't get down if you struggle at first. You have no follow up and no customer base. It takes a month to build some follow up. Hussle and work hard and they won't dump ya if ya struggle for a few months. Work your day off if ya can when ya struggle, gotta pay yer dues and managers see your extra effort.

Try hard to test drive every customer. A strong rep can test drive 85%. Weak/passive guys drive 20%.

50-60K first year is good. 70-80K second, then you can make much more if you are strong or become a manager.

Fire some more questions if ya want. Where are you working?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:38 AM

Car Sales 101

Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Car Sales 101

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked this movie.

your either a salesman or your not at this point, just see how you do, if you are doing ok, then start learning how to sell, if you arent doing ok, find another job.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Try hard to test drive every customer. A strong rep can test drive 85%. Weak/passive guys drive 20%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting a test drive is about the best thing you can do to increase your odds of closing.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:30 AM

Don't go in with a plan. Ups will tell you how to sell them if you listen. Biggest mistake is to have some sort of rote procedure that you repeat ad infinitum. Everyone is different. Whole thing is to get them from "Just looking" to talking to you like a real person. It's not really important what you say it's important what they say. Get them talking and listen. Agree and confirm and extrapolate. It's not until they have some respect for you as an individual and regard for your opinion that your words mean anything.

Don't let them get stuck on details. Big car or small car? Dark color or bright color? You're looking to tranfer mental ownership. Once they go from looking at "a car" to seeing it as their car, you're golden. Have them put their hands on it; all over it. Touch everything, move everything, feel everything. Try to describe everything in the context of their daily lives. Don't just say it has a big trunk, say you can fit your cooler in here if they've said something about camping.

Once you have that ask for the sale. Seems like an obvious point but many miss it. They rap and rap and rap but don't have the temerity to ask for the freaking sale. One guy I worked with made it a point to ask 7 times with each up.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:12 AM

I am new to the car business as well and I can tell you that product knowledge is a huge help to build your confidence. The simplest thing to learn is that enthusiasm sells cars. That and constantly asking for the business. "If you like all the numbers would you take this car home today?" "Other than price what is holding you back?" "If I do X, do we have a deal" Selling cars is not that complicated, you say a lot of the same phrases over and over. Be persistent and follow up a lot. Work a lot of hours and work hard. Treat every up like its your last.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:18 AM

Which Nissan place? I'll be interviewing with one here soon that I saw at a job fair at Palace Station, lolz. Get me a job? ;P
Old 08-17-2007, 03:23 AM

http://www.amazon.com/No-Thanks-Im-Just-...5389&sr=8-4
Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 AM

Know a lot about your cars. Know as much about your competitions.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:18 AM

OP,

read what Damnitbob said. Read it again.

Be different from everyone else.

Follow up on each guest 100% of the time.

People are creatures of habit. Find out what motivated them to purchase their last vehicle and what has changed in their life that makes their old car undesirable.

never lie or mislead for any reason.

Do not be a dick.

Give a price, trade value to everyone....even if they are just starting to shop. No one can make a well-informed decision without information for them to consider.

Always leave negotiations open, never tell them "no" without giving them a counter offer to consider.

learn from your mistakes.

Dont worry about the money...do the volume and the money will be there at the end of the month.

I have sold thousands of cars (not an exaggeration)and I still want to improve everyday. The car business is similar to poker. Some days you do not make a dollar but continue to put yourself in the most +EV situtation you can with each guest and you will be fine.